The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#740/1000 BUILD

While your in there check your flywheel. It must have seen a lot of stress at such a high rpm. Might want to have it magna fluxed even if it looks good.

Fiascoxl

Funny you mention that, because I now think the flywheel is the culprit. When I replaced the clutch this last time I replaced the flywheel also for an aluminum unit. I have seen numerous threads about aluminum flywheel failures. The car almost sounds like the flywheel bolts have backed out. I will report the damage in the next few days when I get the trans down.

Fiascoxl

Had no time for it today, actually I am not all that bummed about it right now because I found this little gem for dirt cheap over the weekend.

Fiascoxl

Still haven't got around to working on the car, but it is most definitely either a stretched rod or wrist pin. I got a offer for the car and looks like I may be parting ways with it as a roller.

Fiascoxl

Finally got motivated enough to tear into the car last weekend. Since it seemed like It may have been motor troubles I pulled the trans. I will go ahead and say right now that I am a idiot, the noise was coming from the flywheel that loosened up on me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It is totally my fault and I did not use the proper parts when I installed the fidanza flywheel. Instead of using the steel spacer and longer flywheel bolts like I should have(didn't realize they were necessary), I only used the oem short bolts and red loctite. They very may well have stayed tight but that mis shift probably had a lot to do with them breaking loose at some point.

It has ruined the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc and throw out bearing, all those parts have significant uneven wear now. I'm so glad it did not mess anything else up. I went ahead and stepped up to a stronger 2900 still with a street disc and a street light chrome moly flywheel instead this time. My new oem flywheel bolts, pressure plates, TOB and three quarts of MT90 are here from JNZ but I am still waiting on the clutch to arrive. I've missed driving the damn thing these past few weeks.

transparentdsm

yeah me too, i know how it can be. my car was down for over a month because the aftermarket sunroof collapsed in on me while on the highway.

Fiascoxl

Just got the car put back together today before work. No issues and the ACT 2900 feels exactly like the 2600 that came out. I was a bit worried of the increased pedal effort but I don't think there is any. Other than a retune using 100% Methanol the car is ready for the TEAM DOHC event at Natural Bridge dragway. I won the Import power adder street tire class last year, hopefully I can repeat this year and finally get that 6.XX 1/8th mile pass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fiascoxl

Went an hour and a half out of my way Friday night to run a 2016 Stage 3 Roush Mustang. Quick back story, ran him a few weeks ago in his 03 Mach one three deep and destroyed him. He claimed he was spinning so a lot of trash talking started afterwards on Facebook. I then found out he had a brand new Roush and instantly told him I wanted to skip the Mach and go for it.

So after hearing from a alternate source that he would be out I made my to where he would be. Needless to say he was a little apprehensive and decided on a dig race. Car ran good and I figured he would probably spin bad, outcome was a few bus lengths. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So we stopped at a gas station after that and he looked a little desperate. I went against my morals and actually agreed to a roll race. First roll was from 30 and I had him by 3 or 4 cars by fifth gear. Second roll was from 50 except I gave him a car and the hit this time and still put 4 cars on him easily. Last race was from 70 and seemed like my car was doing better and better at higher mph and it was an easy 8 or more at 7500 in fifth.

This is the second high dollar domestic car I've taken down and feels just as good as when I put the '14 ZL1 down. The best thing said all night was when he told his buddy to tell me to give him the hit and he said "he already did". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

KiNgMaRtY

Haha. Nice kills! Those pony boys always think that they are so untouchable.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned