The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#740/1000 BUILD

Fiascoxl

I have neglected to keep this updated!, switching over to a billet hx40 turbo and bep t3 with OBX ramhorn as we speak. Swapped in the afco radiator, changing/rewelding my charge pipes up a bit and making a o2 housing within the next week or two. Updates to come in the next week!

Fiascoxl

A little background on some of my previous cars and such.
89 Colt GT, loved this car so much.

Got rid of the Colt and regretted it... so next came my 90 Colt that was supposed to be a daily and ended up like this. Been like this for almost three years now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I think it may be time to part with it and let someone finish it...

While I had the 90 Colt down I found a another "DD" four door Automatic Eagle Summit that was in dire need of some assistance (hit three deer). Lasted two weeks then diagnosed a cracked head great... And so it began.

I took it up to the 20th Annual Shootout and three exploded fwd trannys and a skipped timing belt later, Winter rolled around. I then found 740 and decided to get rid of the Summit.

Oh I had this in there somewhere, just to say I am not much of a fan of DSM's but picked this up dirt cheap then unloaded it for a good profit months later. lol

phew...

Present day - 740 has seen a bunch of road trips on her short resurrection so far, been up to the shootout this year then down to Charlotte NC, then down to Williamsburg VA for Busch Gardens then to Richmond VA three or four times for Kings Dominion and shopping and once over to D.C. for some sight seeing. She shares DD duties with my 90 Mighty Max and has been so rock solid.

Here is what the engine bay looked like right before I started on the turbo swap. Went ahead and threw on my 1g ets street fmic, Magnus smic, afco radiator and switched over to speed density

Some of the goodies to be installed

and after all this I have a line on another 89 Colt that needs an engine and happen to have all the 4g swap parts sans engine and trans left over from the Summit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

Fiascoxl

I have been torn in the past few days of the direction of the car,... no I have not lost interest I just think the car deserves someone that will put more effort into it's appearance. I have always been quite satisfied driving a sh*t box (CSM) that was'nt gonna be pristine or in showroom condition. Besides I have really neglected my awd colt project for far too long and this build moved toward substantial power goals and a lighter chassis is just a win win for me.

I have no clue what 740 will bring as a roller with no engine and transmission and transfer case? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

LIV4PSI

$500-$1000 for a roller

Jesus_Negros

You delete your fs thread? I was trying to show it to someone.

Fiascoxl

Yeah I forgot to add a picture to it, my gf is beyond pissed that I want to sell it already. Gonna post another now.

Fiascoxl

I just took my friends advice and I have decided to keep the car. Next plan of attack is to get the hx40 on an a good drive tune then find another built trans because this one has seen better days for sure. I have decided to get rid of my half done AWD Colt instead, it will donate its non 4ws rear and five lug to 740 in the near future. I pretty much am gonna start from underneath the car and undercoat everything and work my up to a paint job. Updates this coming week!

Last edited:

Fiascoxl

So its been a few weeks and time for some updates! So I got rid of the awd Colt and sent it to the scrap yard, but not before getting the awd stuff out from underneath it for 740. I acquired a 92 fwd turbo Eclipse last week, that I went to work on quickly and have completely stripped. I gave my buddies dibs on the seats and whatever non mechanical they wanted and I pulled the motor, trans, harness, and ecu for my new Colt dd project. While I was at it I pulled the front control arms, steering rack, and rear brakes (for Colt).

I started pulling the rear out of the car today and made progress all the way up to just the sub frame bolts left and it started to rain. I also have been tossing the idea of getting rid of power steering and de-powering the rack I got off the Eclipse to really clean up the front of the engine bay. I decided to scrap the bep t3 hx40 housing for a modified garrett divided t4 set up with a top mount jmf manifold to compliment it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I also took the time to take pics of all that stuff I have accumulated the past few weeks. I could of taken a pic of my Stage 4 TRE trans but it still in its box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TylerAdamson

Any particular reason you're running the manifold spacer? I would have guessed the JMF manifold would provide sufficient space to bolt up most turbo's.

Fiascoxl

Yeah the person I got it from used it on a Evo 3 to clear the water outlet and upper radiator hose and keep it further from the lower radiator hose I believe. Its on there for a mock up in the pic and I won't be running it, I am taking the original gvr4 water outlet and having it welded to a 1g dsm outlet I cut right after the radiator cap portion. Reason for this is that the JMF is perfectly made to suit a gvr4 with a stock radiator set up and with my AFCO I need the 1g dsm thermostat outlet, also the 1g outlet points directly at the comp housing. I have a good fix for this and have the two outlets cut to give me a better angle towards the radiator and to allow the upper hose to go up over the air filter. Btw the spacer is also from JMF and a very good quality piece that I wel probably be getting rid of.

Also I have some heat wrap going on the manifold and a ptp blanket to keep under hood temps down.

Last edited:

Fiascoxl

Got a ton accomplished today. Managed to get the non 4ws rear sub frame in place and bolted in along with pulling all the 4ws lines and ps lines too. Still need to get the rack I pulled out of the Eclipse and miata mod it. Also installed the front five lug hubs and my BC coilovers all the way around, I also started to remove the trans and got the t case down and axles out for now. Tons left to do, hopefully I make more progress in the days to come.

Last edited:

4thStroke

Have you had a chance to drive it with the BC coilovers? I've had good luck with them in the past on another platform for daily use and am curious if the street manners carried over to our platform.

I'm a big fan of stock looking VR4s that make good numbers. Good work!

EDIT* I jumped the gun, doesn't seem like you would have had the chance to drive the car yet.

Last edited:

Fiascoxl

No I don't think she will be road ready until the weekend at least. The seem very firm even at half way between hard and soft. Can't wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fiascoxl

Been super busy as of late but I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel finally! The past few weeks I have been sneaking in a few hours of work on the car before I go to work each day. Since my last addition I finished my depowered rack and installed it, put on a new pan that I enlarged the turbo drain on, I also got my built trans back in, put the alt relocation in, rebooted my axles, replaced tie rod ends, lower ball joints, and sway bar end links with Moog parts, installed my HKS 272's, put in the FIC hi z 1100's, installed the coil pack relocation, tucked a few misc wires out of sight, relocated my battery over behind the trans on the front sub frame, this was using the stock size battery and it fit quite nice but I need to make provisions for the battery hold down still, got the JMF manifold and turbo on, the back half of the down pipe still needs attached to my cat back.

Tomorrow hopefully I can get fluids put in it, and wire up a few new gauges and start her up!

Fiascoxl

Well the car has been running for a little while and I had a little fun with the other weekend. The car is at 25psi right now on stock 2g fuel maps and only 12 degrees peak timing on 93 pump. The challenger was a buddies 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with cat delete, cat back, intake and diablosport tuner. I gave him the hit and babied it off the line with no anti lag and short shifted at 7k through must gears and I can say the car is pretty fun to drive! Unfortunately I decided to test out a anti lag launch between runs and something let go, but boy did it come out the hole hard! The car felt like it was only fwd and I had to limp it to my storage the other day. Now it feels as if the clutch is slipping but my guess is that I destroyed the splines of the output shaft to the t case or hopefully just grenaded the gears inside the t case itself. Next up is some methanol injection and more boost, hopefully my little intank 255 and stock lines can go a little farther. We shall see.

Little outside cruise action,.. Never mind my rattling grille, darn solid front mount!
click

click

Last edited:

GSX_TC

so what exactly did you do to change the angle of the water neck?

Fiascoxl

I took and cut the original Galant thermostat housing top and then cut a DSM Thermostat housing top just after the radiator cap. I then took both pieces and figured out a slight angle needed to clear plus more and then had them welded together.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned