The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

711/1000 Update and Questions

GVR47111K

Hello all again, last post I introduced myself and 711/1000 to everyone. This time around I'm back with some updates and questions. First off, I absolutly love this car! It's been good to me so far and I suspect it will continue to. In my intro post I said accidently wrote that the car has 141,000 miles when in reality it is nearing 115K. Whoops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I haven't done much yet but what I have done is get a new muffler and cat. The old muffler was not on the car when I purchased it and it was basically a straight pipe because the cat was either hollowed out or no good, I think the former. The muffler that wasn't on there was a magnaflow 40 series and it had a broken baffle so now it's scrap metal and the muffler on there now has the same internals as a 40 series. The new cat(not really new)came out of my dad's garage and works just fine. I had the same guy put on the muffler and cat. (Shhh...Not exactly legal) After I got the exhaust straightened out I went back to emissions testing (failed the first one obviously due to no cat) and failed again, but this time I failed in CO instead of nox. The margain of error was only 0.3 (The limit is 15.0 and I read a 15.3) so this is where my questions come in. What is the problem here? My first thought was a tune up, also, there is that "Gurranteed to Pass" sh*t but I've had bad luck with that before. If it is just a tune up then I wanted to change the plugs and wires. If I put in something like a NGK 8mm combo will it help my dilema or hurt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I don't want to have to buy twice. The other thing was in my previous post I mentioned that the turbo fully spools around 5K. That statement was false. I was simply relaying info from the p.o. The 16g spools just fine but I've noticed a big decline in power after putting on a muffler and cat. In first gear, if you try to launch, it sounds like the turbo is pulling hard but I don't feel it. Then I go to 2 and I can feel it just fine at 3K usually. That's all I can remember for now. Here's a picture. I'm having trouble uploading the others. Thanks.

-Will V.

AWDPower

Nice looking car! Did you have the car fulley warmed up when you tested it? Take it for a nice long spirited drive before you have it tested, make sure the cat is nice and hot. Did you fail the smog check at idle? You may be able to bump the idle speed up a bit (check the paperwork on your last test, it should say max allowable idle speed.) Those two tips should get you over the hump since you are so close. Good plugs in the stock heat range also help (NGK BPR6ES?- going from memory). Good quality plug wires can help. Don't worry too much about the size- the MM size has to do with the insulation thickness and heat resistance, not conductor size. Our wires don't run anywhere near the exhaust, so the thicker wires are mostly overkill. However, since many people equate thicker wires with better performance, most quality wires are thicker anyways, needed or not. Good luck.

thedsmguy

I've heard that bumping idle to near max and pulling timing is best for emissions testing. Also running crappy 87 octane gas burns hotter and therefor does better in emissions.

Good luck!

GVR47111K

Well I put in some NGK BPR6ES's even though the old ones looked fine. The new ones are gapped to .028 where the old ones were .031 if memory serves me correct. I'll take her down to emissions again soon and hope for the best. Thanks guys.

-Will V.

GSX_TC

Nice, looks like Zak's car

Brunoboy

add a bit of E-85 as well. I know some will say dont do it, but I say do it.

GSX_TC

`Do it! Do it now!! (says in arnold voice)

GVR47111K

Mike- I don't know who Zak is, but is it the KG i see sometimes on the splashpage? That photo was taken right after a bath from her good side, you can see the dent in the bumber and that's the biggest cosmetic flaw besides the paint is sh*t.

AWDPower- Why a bigger gap?

brunoboy- I might have to if I can't get it to pass but the closet e-85 station to me isn't close at all and I think it's pretty steep, right?

Mike(again)- Get to tha choppa!

AWDPower

The larger the gap, the larger the spark. You want to run as large a gap as you can get away with without having misfires. For a smog test, a larger spark can mean a more complete burn. You can't get away with a large gap under high boost because the high cylinder pressure makes it hard for the spark to jump the gap. But that doesn't matter for a smog check.

GSX_TC

Quoting GVR47111K:
Mike- I don't know who Zak is, but is it the KG i see sometimes on the splashpage? That photo was taken right after a bath from her good side, you can see the dent in the bumber and that's the biggest cosmetic flaw besides the paint is sh*t.

AWDPower- Why a bigger gap?

brunoboy- I might have to if I can't get it to pass but the closet e-85 station to me isn't close at all and I think it's pretty steep, right?

Mike(again)- Get to tha choppa!

Lol "I'll Be back"

here is Zaks VR4

photo-15.jpg

GVR47111K

Good news everyone! (Professor Farnsworth) I got 711 to pass today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess it was just the plugs because it just barley passed in CO's this time, 14.9 actually. Maybe it was because my girlfriend came with me. Now I got two years to start the mods. I'll have to widen the gap again if it'll help out, too. And mike, "Hey, Im'ma police officer."

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned