The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

711/1000's Newbie Owner

GVR47111K

So as of 11/7/11 I am the proud owner of 1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 711/1000 in Kensington Grey! (711/1000 on 11/7/11 coincidence? Or fate? I think fate.) I'm super excited to own this beautiful car and I can proudly say that the car only has 141,000 original miles! It is also almost virgin, only has a 16g, tubular manifold and exhaust with cat. This is my first GVR4 and I haven't had a DSM either. (Yes I know the difference and I've read the stickies and other things that newbies should.) I'm here to learn because I would like to keep this car as my DD but also have goals in mind. (Mid 11's?) It runs great as is and pulls just fine with full spool around 5k. Again I'm super excited and at the disposal of the older, more refined GVR4 owners who have more wisdom in one valve cylinder than I do in my whole car. If anyone would like to let me know anything they think is helpfull for a newbie (also again, I've read up on here, but not everything and I'm always still learning) then please do not hesitate to do so. Thanks in advance.

-Will V.
(Sorry I dont have any pictures yet, I just purchased it tonight and none of the ones I took on my phone are really worthy of putting up. I'll upload as soon as I can which might not be for a couple days, probably gonna snow tomorrow. Gotta love Colorado weather!)

Definitely interesting that you happened to buy car 711 in the eleventh month on the seventh day of 2011. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Good on you that you have taken time to read too.

Other things that may be helpful to you:

www.vfaq.com

And as far as searching on here, put a + in front of the word you are using to search and you will come up with better results. +oil +filter, for example.

Enjoy the car.

Welcome. I'm over in Aurora, dont't hesitate to shoot me a PM if you need help with anything. I'm usually around on weekends and can certainly be persuaded into turning some wrenches (my favorite beer is cold), and I have 10 years of mistakes that I have learned from. (Read: experience)

Last edited by a moderator:

Diego

Justin also takes TacoBell as payment as well.

Glad to see another Colorado member here, and your purchase was fate.

Diego

GVR47111K

Thanks everyone for your input. Luckily it didn't snow today and the rest of the week looks to be sunny but cold. I really appreciate everyone putting in thier two cents because I believe you're entitled to it and Justin, I'll make sure to let you know if I need any advice or a helping hand. (Might have to be TacoBell payments as I am not yet 21 but don't get me wrong, I like my beer like I like my cars...imported.) As far as the turbo hitting around 5k, I was curious about that too and I'll look into it, its set at stock boost (9psi) now by the way. Thanks again.

-Will V.

WaRrIoRs16

Welcome. For your spool problem, here's a fairly recent discussion about it on this board click

Quoting GVR47111K:
(Might have to be TacoBell payments as I am not yet 21 but don't get me wrong, I like my beer like I like my cars...imported.)

-Will V.

You can still give me money for beer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Quoting Diego:
Justin also takes TacoBell as payment as well.

Diego

Damn, that really really makes me sound like a cheap slut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

It is alright Diego, I still love you.

GVR47111K

Well reading up it seems that I should be seeing full spool around 2800-3k. I'm definately going to do some further investigation because I've only driven it twice. (The test drive and on the way home. Doing registration today.) Right now I'm praying its just a leak somewhere and I'll do a test on that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll have to take it out again when I can and go from there. Thanks again everyone.

-Will V.

Congrats on the purchase of your VR4..
Almost sounds as if your wastegate actuator might be on its last leg if your not seeing full boost until 5k RPM. However you could have a exhaust leak as well prior to the turbine wheel. Faulty BOV as well could be a culprit.. Where are you measuring boost from? Manifold or Turbo.. Then again it might be your vacuum hose to your boost gauge.. So many variables. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif
Best of luck, just remember to approach the issue with a logical mind.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts