The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#613/2000 build thread... now prepping to run 10's and/or sell?

turbohf

i spent a lot of money and time....and i dont care, car drives awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif all the issues i have had seem to be gone. got the car aligned. front has -1.8 camber rear was like -2.6. i have a little bit of bounce in the front suspension, think im going to give a couple clicks firmer into the coilovers, but other than that they are awesome. brakes feel good. car looks good if i dont say so myself, and others seem to dig it.

im happy right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

once that wears off i do have a big turbo to put on.

turbohf

ok, so i drove her to work today (~50miles round trip, city/freeway/traffic) and she did great. stupid CEL was going crazy with some what i assume is false knock from my sh*t lifters. but other than that was doing ok.
buddy hit me back and said to swing by after work to do a quick flat rate tune on her. took one look at the MAFT, double checked it was plugged in and wondered off, came back with a ecmlink gm maf harness. he went threw all the settings and i was trying to keep up and understand what was going on. fired right off. went out and did some driving and was pretty spot on. did some roll ins to boost, quick adjusts. tried some pulls but the lifters are fubar. they just need replaced. did manage to get some pulls in.

so...
-gonna need to swap to speed density obviously
-lifters goes without saying?
-he suggested cams. said not needed (i have FP2's), but knows someone with some FP4s maybe. and will make way more power. so, yeah.
-SMIM and probably throttle body (wtb: magnus/jmf intake)
-CLUTCH! lol. yeah. did a nice pull in 2nd, into 3rd and jumped some rpm it seemed, then again towards top of 3rd on another pull. (wtb: twin disc and 2g accumulator)
-solid front motor mount. i dont like the movement the engine has.
-what else is my car missing? lol. seems like i have bought everything...

i dont care... still fuckin excited. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

slugsgomoo

Is your friend Bryan by any chance? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If so, small world /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbohf:
ok, so i drove her to work today (~50miles round trip, city/freeway/traffic) and she did great. stupid CEL was going crazy with some what i assume is false knock from my sh*t lifters. but other than that was doing ok.
buddy hit me back and said to swing by after work to do a quick flat rate tune on her. took one look at the MAFT, double checked it was plugged in and wondered off, came back with a ecmlink gm maf harness. he went threw all the settings and i was trying to keep up and understand what was going on. fired right off. went out and did some driving and was pretty spot on. did some roll ins to boost, quick adjusts. tried some pulls but the lifters are fubar. they just need replaced. did manage to get some pulls in.

so...
-he suggested cams. said not needed (i have FP2's), but knows someone with some FP4s maybe. and will make way more power. so, yeah.
-CLUTCH! lol. yeah. did a nice pull in 2nd, into 3rd and jumped some rpm it seemed, then again towards top of 3rd on another pull. (wtb: twin disc and 2g accumulator)

Your lifters may be sh*t, but doubt they are the source of your knock. The knock sensor is tuned to pick up the resonant frequency of detonation, which should greatly differ from valve train noise/vibrations. You're more likely to have a setting configured incorrectly in ECMlink causing your CEL to light up. If you post up a log, we could take a look for you.

I agree with swapping to SD, or even back to a stock type MAF. The GM MAFs are garbage IMO.

Choose cams based on your overall goals for the car. Do you want a track car, or do you want something that's tame enough to still drive on the street? FP4s probably aren't a great street cam, but would will provide better balls out performance with the right setup.

Same goes for the clutch. Twin discs are notorious for being a pain in the ass on something that gets driven on the street, so do your research and identify your goals before you buy.

turbohf

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Is your friend Bryan by any chance? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If so, small world /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

yup, known Bryan for like 10 years.

turbohf

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting turbohf:

so...

Your lifters may be sh*t, but doubt they are the source of your knock. The knock sensor is tuned to pick up the resonant frequency of detonation, which should greatly differ from valve train noise/vibrations. You're more likely to have a setting configured incorrectly in ECMlink causing your CEL to light up. If you post up a log, we could take a look for you.

I agree with swapping to SD, or even back to a stock type MAF. The GM MAFs are garbage IMO.

Choose cams based on your overall goals for the car. Do you want a track car, or do you want something that's tame enough to still drive on the street? FP4s probably aren't a great street cam, but would will provide better balls out performance with the right setup.

Same goes for the clutch. Twin discs are notorious for being a pain in the ass on something that gets driven on the street, so do your research and identify your goals before you buy.

he pulled like 4* of timing when tuning, still was there. he has tuned tons of 4g63 cars.

as for the plans with the car, cams/clutch/etc... i just want a badass street car. i of course want it all. i doubt i ever bring my car to the track (of any kind). i like to drive my GVR4, but it certainly isnt my only car.

my buddy Bryan seems to think that the FP4's will idle fine.

we touched on the clutch issue just a little, as i know where this conversation goes. i need to move up to a 2900 and/or a pucked clutch. which has harsh engagement, grabby, generally shitty in traffic. but also i have had 4/6 puck clutches in other cars (both my civic and integra currently) and i have put MANY miles on them. my last integra had 30k miles on an ACT 6puck on daily dutys (50miles a day, with traffic). i have been researching twin discs all day. plenty of people dailying them, lots saying race only. im sure i can live with the engagement, not sure i like the idea of a rattly clutch though.

so i have been thinking. if i want a clutch thats decent, ill have to buy a new 2600, and a smaller turbo (hta green). but even then im curious if the torque will come on quick and toast it?... really doesnt matter, i doubt i'll chose less power.
so im going to continue with putting the T67 on.

idk. maybe this is just one viscous snowball... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbohf

alright. I'll try to remember to do that this weekend. left the laptop in the garage after the battery died.

CutlassJim

Noisy lifters have been the cause of false knock readings since I got into 4G63's 15 years ago, not sure when that changed.

turbohf

ok. so more researching has found the non-existant 2900 street disc (mb1-xxss) shows rating of 490fttq. can assume that's flywheel number. so around 400 wheel...? don't think that will be using the t67 to its potential. guess we can tune it till the clutch starts to slip then back down the boost a little.

slugsgomoo

Quoting turbohf:
Quoting slugsgomoo:

yup, known Bryan for like 10 years.

I happen to know about the history for that T67 CHRA... I thought the comp wheel looked familiar, but I am positive it's the one I traded to Bryan. It had

turbohf

oh sweet. yeah I think he did tell me it was an FP turbo, but forgot some of the specs on it.

I hasn't heard about the XXX meet, but I may head out there. haven't been there yet.

turbohf

I don't have Facebook.

and that says over 3k people are expected to be there....

GSTwithPSI

Quoting CutlassJim:
Noisy lifters have been the cause of false knock readings since I got into 4G63's 15 years ago, not sure when that changed.

Sure, they could be a cause, but certainly aren't the definitive cause of phantom knock. A log should easily show whether they are or not, hence me asking to see one. I've had noisy lifters on numerous occasions and didn't experience any phantom knock. I think lifter tick causing knock is unlikely from personal experience, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility I suppose.

CutlassJim

That;'s what I get for posting quickly at work. "A" cause of phantom knock.

Knock sensors pick up any high frequency "noise" above the threshold coded into the ECU. They aren't tuned for a particular thing. A hammer on the side of the block, piston slap, noisy bearings, will all cause a reading.

slugsgomoo

Quoting turbohf:
I don't have Facebook.

and that says over 3k people are expected to be there....

It'll probably be a madhouse. I think we're going to have an after show galant meet at coyotes place to see if we can figure out what's up with his car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

turbohf

ok. i might be down for that. not so good at diagnosing cars usually though. lol.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned