The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

6 lines going to rear of car...what are they?

I know that there are 6 lines going to the rear of the car and I have damaged all 6 when jacking the car up.

I believe that there the lines are:

1)Fuel Supply Line
2)Fuel Return Line

Lines 3,4,5,6 are unknown to me....I guess they are brake lines? If they are brake lines...could you break down what they might be?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

460GVR4

I've never looked personally and without looking or knowing, my guess is rear brakes and 4ws lines. Like I said, I've never messed with any of them on my vr4 since it all works.

Hehe wish I was you! Good thoughts on the 4ws! Wish I wasn't so tired when I jacked the car up by it's lines! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

The 4WS is disabled, so hopefully you are right and I can skip repairing those 2 (although I am not sure how the previous owners disabled the 4WS where to look for disablement and if there is more than one way to disable it).

Redwood

your pictures are really dark, but you have fuel, brake, and steering lines running to the back.

do you no if you have a 1g rack in the front, because if you do that is one way you can disable it. or to crimp the hose works to but never a good idea, most people cap the line right before the rear rack.

good luck

Quote:
your pictures are really dark, but you have fuel, brake, and steering lines running to the back.

do you no if you have a 1g rack in the front, because if you do that is one way you can disable it. or to crimp the hose works to but never a good idea, most people cap the line right before the rear rack.

good luck

Yeah, don't know what is up with the pic...camera is complicated and the .jpg was too large to upload so I changed it to a .gif...couldn't get the flash to come on.

Yes, I have a 1g rack (according the the previous owner). It is a 1g power steering rack. It looks like 2 of the lines at the power steering reservoir have been welded shut. Might that be part of the process?

Thanks

fuel

there will be three lines for fuel - fuel feed (large), fuel return (not so large), and evap line running from the evap canister to the vent on the top of fuel tank. Then there will be two brake lines running to the rear (one for each side). So these five lines are what you see in the pictures.

Should be two additional lines for the 4WS but I always thought they were on the opposite side of the car.

Quote:
there will be three lines for fuel - fuel feed (large), fuel return (not so large), and evap line running from the evap canister to the vent on the top of fuel tank. Then there will be two brake lines running to the rear (one for each side). So these five lines are what you see in the pictures.

Should be two additional lines for the 4WS but I always thought they were on the opposite side of the car.

The evaporator line would be further back than the middle of the car though right? Just wondering because I only counted six lines and would rather repair/replace the 2 fuel lines if possible.

I only counted 6 in total...(I know that my pic is dark)....

I will check to see if I find any other lines that could be for the 4ws.

Thanks

citymunky

Quoting fuel:

The 4WS are on the opposite side of the car.

fuel

Are you positive there's 6 in total? From those two pics you've posted, I can only see 5. You can see the larger fuel delivery line and slightly larger fuel return line with the evap line next to them. Then there are the two brake lines. The 4WS lines are on the other side of the car.

I'll check underneath again...at some point, it appeared that one was hiding underneath the other.

Quoting fuel:
Are you positive there's 6 in total? From those two pics you've posted, I can only see 5. You can see the larger fuel delivery line and slightly larger fuel return line with the evap line next to them. Then there are the two brake lines. The 4WS lines are on the other side of the car.

So there are 5 lines, you are correct.

If the evap line is not completely crushed, does that need to be replaced too? I don't understand how feed, return, and evap lines work.

Can I do anything to eliminate that line/function?

fuel

Personally I would leave the evap line in place. If it's not crushed to the point where it's leaking then I would probably leave it - but if you are going to replace the other 4 lines it makes sense to replace the evap line at the same time.

No just dented a bit. What does that line effect and can I just leave it "crushed" and not effect driveability? If I can get away with not doing that line I will but want to know what it does.

Last edited by a moderator:

fuel

I would say you can get away with a dented evap line (many people just block them off completely anyway) but as for the other four you would definitely want them to flow as much as possible.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned