The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake Lines damaged...what are my options?

I damaged the rear brake lines almost at the center of the car. I was wondering if OEM lines or any upgraded lines are available and from where?

Also, where are the connecting points for the lines towards the front and rear? In other words, can just part of the lines be replaced and if so, how far does the area of line that I need to replace extend?

I am looking for a bolt on solution if possible.

If not, I will go ahead and double flare the damaged areas but wanted to see what was available.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Just searched and noticed that there seem to be no options besides either repairing the lines or running new lines. I'll just repair the damaged section.

Thanks

Redwood

if i was you i would just run new lines, not that i dont think you can fix the old ones but that way you no that the whole line with be good to go without problems. thats what i plan on doing to my car.

Please expand...I am pretty good at fixing lines. I am open to listen. I have never run fresh brake lines before.

Either way, I'd need to know the brake line size. Anyone know the brake line diameter? If not, I will have to start a new thread for turbowop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting Redwood:
if i was you i would just run new lines, not that i dont think you can fix the old ones but that way you no that the whole line with be good to go without problems. thats what i plan on doing to my car.

LIV4PSI

The line size is 3/16. I know alot of parts stores don't sell long enough sections to replace the whole line going to the rear.

Thanks for the size....I still think it's less hassle (however slight) to just repair.

The rest of the line looks rust free.

strokin4dr

You can buy it in rolls. We run complete new lines at the shop often.

Barnes

Where exactly is the damage? What is the nature of the damage?

IMO, if it is under the body, on one of the long runs, fix it. You should be able to remove the line supports before and after the damage. This should give you enough flexibility to move the line around as needed. Cut our the damage section with a tubing cutter. Dress and clean the cut ends, flare them with a flaring tool. If the damage is very short, like 1/2" or less, I bet a simple flare fitting union would be all you need. Any more, and put in a new intermediate piece of tubing between two flare unions.

Unless the line is very hard to get to, I suspect it would be much faster/easier to repair than replacing the entire line. *Especially* if you are running brand new line from a fresh roll. Even OEM would be hard because from my understanding it is one SINGLE piece!

Perhaps some more folks with experience can chime in before you take the plunge.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts