The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

5 lug conversion process - Updated 3/17/09 - Now Done

fivestardsm

Good price, Butt... click

Terry Posten

Yes, they do "follow" the cracks a little too much but They will NEVER see water and the car is mostly doing show-n-shine stuff now.

At the time (and still an issue), cost was the most important thing. I could not spend $600 on a set of rubber after spending $750 on the 5 lug conversion.

I will upgrade later if the need arises.

fivestardsm

Quote:
I could not spend $600 on a set of rubber after spending $750 on the 5 lug conversion.

Ouch, why did it cost $750 for the conversion?

Terry Posten

All OEM parts, right down to the lug studs and nuts. New slotted/drilled rotors, ceramic pads, undercoating and caliper paint, used hubs that I had tanked and bead-blasted, etc..

Hell, it cost me $80 to have the front hubs pressed together after I bought all the parts.

Then figure in the cost of mount and balance of the new wheels.

But that is not all, once everything is back together, figure in the cost of a full alignment since that has been screwed up from the process.

If you want to do it right, then be prepared to spend some cash.

DAMN YOU, you are making me think about how much money I sank into this bucket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

I was not taking any chances. I had to remove the whole front spindle and there is a small amount of play from the 2 large bolts that connect the strut base to the knuckle.

fivestardsm

Quoting Terry Posten:

DAMN YOU, you are making me think about how much money I sank into this bucket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Im sorry. I try not to think about the money I put in mine either since I ran lean and detonated my plugs last week.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

bazeng

Are we able to how to this topic?

I'm doing the rear bearings / front bearings as well as a 5 lug swap and this thread does help quite abit!

Took me a while to find it though.. =(

bazeng

Just adding to the photos.

Here is how I removed the bearings off the shaft-

I used some special tools designed to pull bearings. Worked very well.
The photo explains how it works...

The removal has been explained by Terry, this will explain (with pics) the re-installation..

Here are all the parts I used.

This photo shows the order of parts.

Install steps:

1-

I used a small hammer to knock the first 2 parts back onto the axel shaft.
Also, as the diagram displayed (mitsu diagram). I oiled the 2nd plate where the rubber dust seal sits.

I then used a press to push the bearing onto the shaft. Very easy to do. Same goes with the ABS gear.

3 -

I then knocked the studs back in using a vice and a mallet.

4 -

Once all assembled / pressed on, I simply placed it into the hub and tapped it in with a hammer. It went in very very easily. I used copper grease in the hub to possibly assist with future removal / rust. Grease would also work well or wd40.

All that is left to do - slide the cups back on the spline and bolt it all up!!

Much easier than I expected...
Next, the fronts...

656of1000

2g GSX wheels FTW! I think they're catching on. I wonder how your's would look if the spokes were painted white, with the polished lip?

044-1.jpg

I like that you did the swap the "right" way- using all OE parts. Well done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
I made do with all used parts and junk bearings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I splurged on powdercoating the rims, though.

BTW, my buddy swears by his Ling Longs, so I think you're on to something there!

KiNgMaRtY

I am getting interested into doing the 5 lug conversion but I was wondering if I would be losing the 4ws by doing so?

Rausch

^ Nope. The hubs are not related to the rear steering.

Terry Posten

I took my ABS off. You don't need to if you install the front rings on the new hubs or get a set that is from a car that already has them. The rear hubs can reuse the old rings as well.

BluFalcon

I was wanting to keep the ABS if I did the 5 lug swap. I was hoping it would be as simple as swapping the GVR4 ABS rings onto the DSM 5 lug axles and hubs. I just sold my Talon, and I have a nice set of SSR Competitions and some 17x8 Konig Villains that would look great on my GVR4.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Ed, your 92 runs a 1:1 ratio front/rear, so you can keep the ABS either by transferring over your GVR4 rings, or using ABS-equipped parts from a TEL (which also uses 1:1 ratio) for both front and rear. You cannot mix and match as the TELs use 47 teeth and the 92 GVR4s use 43 teeth.

BluFalcon

Excellent! Thanks for the info. Now to start gathering parts. Super sexy 5 lug wheels for the GVR4 soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

moidsm1

Not trying to threadJack, Just want to add in my experience, I know I do not have a VR4, I recently did the 5 Lug Swap on my Galant GS FWD. It was pretty straightforward, everything was bolt on. for the front I used a 92 GSX Spindle/hub with the smaller rotors. for braking on the front I used VR4 Dual pistons., They bolted right up to the spindles. For the rear I used hubs/rotors from a fwd drive 1G eclipse, doesnt matter turbo or not. Now my question is, What brake rotors should I be using? and should I have taken the proportioning valve from the car I got the Dual Piston calipers from? Thanks.

BluFalcon

Didn't mean to raise this one from the dead, but just wanted clarification from what Iceman stated, on the ABS issue before I went and spent money on parts for the swap.

The 92 GVR4 ABS computer isn't interested in the actual count on the ABS rings, but rather just wants to see the 1:1 ratio it would see with the GVR4 rings. So, leaving the DSM rings on the hubs, which have 47 F/R, when the swap is done is no problem, right? The 92 GVR4 ABS unit should see the 1:1 ratio, and work like it's supposed to as if the GVR4 tone rings 43 F/R were in place.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Ed, that is my belief. I have installed these parts on my '92, but it has not rolled or driven yet. Will know in spring unless you beat me to it.

I don't know the reason for 43 v. 47 teeth on the different cars, but the ABS computers for the '92 VR4 and the TEL AWD cars have been commonized in the parts system, so I can't imagine it cares about actual number, just the ratio. Of course, if you put rotors with only 4 teeth on them, the speed would be all screwed up. 43 seems close enough to 47 to likely not cause issues.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned