The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4WS leak problem...

Quoting turbowop:
I think the reason I never used those Earl's fittings was because back then, nobody else had used them at the time and I was worried the one would interfere with the swaybar. Looks like it's close, but it fits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

It's definetely tight! How much does the swaybar flex you think? Hopefully not enough to knock against it hehehe

chucklesas

If you have the front of the car completely off the ground, and the shocksprings completely decompressed and the sway bar isn't hitting the fittings, then you have nothing to worry about.

I have front wheels on ramps and back end on jackstands. So I guess the springs would be compressed. Do I have a problem?

chucklesas

You could check your clearance by disconnecting the sway bar from the A-arm, and then moving the sway bar through it's full range of motion.

I'm gonna risk it..then blame everyone else when I break off the cap LOL Just kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It seems to have plenty of clearance so I am gonna roll the dice on it. I poured in the fluid tonight and started up the car. Turned the wheels lock to lock a few times and the power steering was in and out. I think I just haven't put in enough fluid yet (I put in one bottle). I am going to pick up another bottle and put more in. There was a slight metal on metal noise when I first started it up (probably because the pump was bone dry). I am hoping I didn't do any damage in the second or so it took for the fluid to get down in and work its way through. At any rate, the caps seem to hold and not leak so I am calling this a success so far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for all the help thus far. I will be back for some more soon LOL

turbowop

The in/out feeling of the power steering and noises is normal until the fluid works its way through the system.

Did you fill it with ATF like the service manual calls for, or power steering fluid?

Heh I filled it with Power Steering fluid...Didn't know the service manual called for ATF...That bad? heh I finally understand why Besso sent me home with a bottle of ATF fluid to pour into the Power Steering reservoir...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyone want to weigh in on whether I now need to drain the system or if im ok using power steering fluid? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Struc

It's pretty much the same stuff. You're fine.

good good. Was dreading having to repeat that process again hehehe. Was messy to say the least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

I think im golden. I added more fluid and did some more turns. It's not making any noise and the power steering seems to be operating flawlessly. Also no puddles under the car! Now to remove the old hoses! Just to double check I can remove the two rubber hoses that go from the engine bay to under the car as well as the metal lines that run under the car all the way to the back right? Anything else I should remove? I don't think im going to touch the rear pump until I do a pumpkin swap. Make sense? Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned