The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3G or EVO MAS wiring

Tom, show them how you mounted the coil pack! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RayH

Did you have to grind alot off the Cyclone bracket to clear the AC?

autobahntom

The bracket that goes from the block to the intake manifold did not get installed yet. It will not work without some modifications. Going to set a motor up on the bench and mod one that way-then install it on the car.
Here is a pic of the coil pack mounting. I installed tape on the wires just to give them some added support as they are vulnerable sticking up the way they do. (and yes, it needs redone, lol).

I just got done modifying my Cyclone bracket to fit:

I also took someone else's hint about grinding the ears off to make accessing the bolts easier:

Its going to be slightly more complicated by the 3/8" phenolic spacer, so I had to hack even more off than usual. But, it seems to look good:

Quote:

2G = 2700 Hz MAX at .1153 Hz per liter = 311 liters per second
3G = 2200 Hz MAX at .1478 Hz per liter = 325 liters per second

Not exactly up on my airflow levels with popular turbos and boost levels, but 2200Hz should be good for say...E3/20G/sleeper 16G at around 20psi?

Great info Jeff. I currently have the MAFT fad and I think it's garbage; considering i'm not looking for more than 300whp in #1948 (daily driven) I think this would be a great mod. Do you think it's necessary to have the stock aircan to support the MAS?

Terry Posten

1uGlyGalaNt

Are they good for more power than a 2g mas?

Terry Posten

Yes, it flows more air and that means you can feed a bigger turbo w/o restriction.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quote:
Are they good for more power than a 2g mas?

Keydiver has tested them to flow the virtual equivalent of the Evo VIII mas. They are used on Mitsu V6s up to 3.5 liters.

joec

What kind of electrical connector does the 3G MAF use? Same as the 2G or do you need a 3G specific one?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Unfortunately different than 2g. Should be available on other Mitsus of similar years that used this style MAF. Used since '99 on Galants, 2000 on Eclipse, and also on Monteros and sports. Probably some others too. I am working on getting some of these plugs and I am trying to sell the mafs with the plugs to make it easier.

Will the 2G MAS out flow the 3G MAS if the 2G MAS IS HACKED??

Thanks,
Armando

92VR4 894/1000
91VR4 948/2000

steve

Hacking the MAS is not as much about increasing flow, as it is about hiding flow from the ECU in order to avoid fuel cut. With a keydiver chip eliminating fuel cut and compensating for the different MAS, I don't think hacking the MAS is necessary, or even a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

I doubt it, but all bets are off when you start "hacking". Why don't you test it and get back to us? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CP

Any thoughts on this MAF's compatability with DSMLink (ie no Keydiver chip to compensate)?

Just choose the compensation closest, like the 2G MAS in DSMLink, and then move the sliders up to add to the airflow, as per the graph I posted. I've talked to Tom Dorris, and that is how he is going to suggest people deal with it. Thats the same way you deal now with a hacked MAS in DSMLink, and it works rather well.

My friend in his 91 AWD Talon Has it done to his 2G. He found how to do it on roadrace engineering.com
and it works fine for him. All it does is lean out the fuel if you are running rich. I'm going to put the mas in not hacked and then Hack it to see what the differences are.

powerplay

For those that are converting to a 3G MAS, here is the wiring/color code to help make it easy. If you have already upgraded to a 2G Mas then it is pin to pin.

G

Staff member
is the 3g color/pin the same as the evo 8 ?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned