The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3000GT brakes installed.

cheekychimp

Karter, it isn't much difference in track. In fact if you are using stock size wheels it is a nice mod because it balances out the stance of the car as stock the rear wheels seem to tuck in further than the fronts. I'd guess maybe 5-10mm on each side. As for the active toe stuff, I reinstalled the active toe eliminator kit on the new trailing arms. I think stock it is similar to a 1G in that it moves passively.

RedTwo

Yeah what cheekychimp said, about 10mm each side due to the drum brake. You should really use the 3000GT upper and lower control arms because they have larger ball joints? than the VR4, basically the VR4 arms wont bolt up very nicely.
3000GT (at least the JDM version) family (includes Diamante, etc) has 4WS so you're either ditching it, or living with it or fixing it.

Hello,can you help me with advice? What shock absorbers did you install in your car when you installed 3kgt trailing arms?
Cause I have DSM 1g AWD and I want to put 3kgt rear trailing arms on it,when I compared my old trailing arms and new 3kgt trailing arms I noticed that construction has a bit difference in stud that holds shock absorber. In 3kgt trailing arm stud taller than DSM/Galant trailing arm by ~4 inch. I don't tried yet to install new subframe with this trailing arms on my car so I don't know how it will look assembled but I fear that if I assemble it with my stock shock absorbers it will be very high ride height on the rear axle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Of course,I try to show what I mean on photo that exist here,but if it needed I'll take a pic of my own trailing arms laying side by side.

I'm talking about lenght of that part of trailing arm which I marked by blue line.In stock trailing arm it's shorter by ~4 inch

cheekychimp

So yours looks like this but that section is 4 inches longer than the stock Galant VR4 arm OR on the trailing arm that you have, that section is 4 inches longer than the one in the photo you posted?

Yes,that section on 3kgt trailing arm is longer then stock one on GVR4/DSM 1g (I've searched in CAPS,our trailing arms have same part number,so I think they're identical)

citymunky

Quoting Vman911:
I got one side done. Need to replace wheel bearing on other side. Looks good with the 12.5" rotors. I had to space out 5/8" to clear the rims.

What rotors are those? Do they have just slotted rotors? I have all I need to install 3000GT brakes including the 5 lug rotors but I still have and want to keep 4 lugs.

Last edited:

gtluke

Looks like ETalon is right, sorta. I think he's looking at it up side down though. Should LOWER the car, not raise it. I think I might look into this swap. On a GVR4 this drop will probably help us since our cars sit so high anyway. I've personally got like no travel in my rear struts because it's lowered so much on EVO struts. A lower mounting point and longer springs would help me.

3KGT/GTO
LEWp3.jpg

DSM
(anyone find a better picture?)
iPVqg.jpg

turbowop

Interesting. I have plenty of travel in the rear, but not enough in front at the ride height 1051 sits at. I actually gave my stepdad a set of new Tein camber plates and am having him see about making top mount plates at his work's machine shop (GE Aviation) to gain more travel. But this is with Tein HA coilovers, not Evo suspension.

gtluke

Wait, I think I have it backwards. When I jack my car up I get no travel, the wheel just comes off the ground. So yeah, backwards. I would need a higher mount and a softer spring. Dammit.
My fronts seem fine. But no way would top mounts work with any OEM style setup. The spring is totally in the way of everything.

turbowop

So you have no droop?

Top mounts should work with coilovers, since the spring is smaller in diameter. Karter has already modified his as makeshift top-mounts and they're working just fine.

Oh,thank you! Really I compared trailing arms up side down((( So,that problem is much easier but it still exists.Maybe there is possibility by making some spacers to get rear height equal to stock size? At now I have stock shock absorbers and three type of springs: stock Galant,stock Eclipse and Eibach lower springs. I'm thinking to install Eibach on front and Galant on rear^but I don't know how that solution will show itself cause I think front on short springs will be much softer than rear on high springs... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

kama1

Didnt even notice that difference

gtluke

Galant struts are longer, or rather have higher spring perches? Putting talon springs on galant struts lowers it like an inch, but putting talon struts in lowers it like a few inches.
So if you have a talon and are putting that rear end in, I but using Galant struts would balance it out.

Yeah Mark I have no droop. It became really evident when I got stuck in a gravel parking lot because I teetered the car on 2 wheels super easy and couldn't get any traction and had to get people to push. Lame.

RedTwo

Edit: misunderstood where we were heading... oh well.

GTO shocks are marginally longer so the overall shape of the arms shouldn't be too different. This data is from the factory service manuals:

VR4 Galant
---------------
Rear Suspension
Spring 11.0 x 106 x 389.5 (Wire dia, O.D, free length)
Spring Constant 20.0 N/mm

Shock
Max Length 583 +/-3 mm
Min Length 391 +/-3 mm
Stroke 192 mm
Damping Force
Expansion 1200 N

Contraction 450 N

GTO
---------------
Rear Suspension
Spring 12.2 x 105 x 379.3 (Wire dia, O.D, free length)
Spring Constant 28.0 +/-1.4 N/mm

Shock
Max Length 610 +/-3 mm
Min Length 407 +/-3 mm
Stroke 203 mm
Damping Force
Expansion 1800 N
1200 N
550 N

Contraction 950 N
850 N
650 N

Personally, I didn't notice the difference in the mounting points but this appears to be because I lucked out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
While visually similar, 4WD GTO and Diamantes have slightly different rear end set ups. The most obvious difference that has been brought to my attention is that the lower GTO shock mount is larger (by about 2mm) than that of the VR4 or Diamante. I was lucky enough to find a 4WD Diamante which was a straight swap, the other two members who have done this used GTO parts which require some extra work, or at least using different suspension.

Last edited:

tsijohn333

what rotors did you use? also where did u find the brackets to fit the vr4 calipers.

RedTwo

For the front? Honda S2000 discs and made my own brackets to use Nissan brakes as they're cheaper and have greater availablity.

tsijohn333

what year s2000 rotors did u use? and what size are they? i wanna use the vr4 calipers but wanna keep 4 lug and dont know which brake pads to use and rotors or brackets to use. any help would be appreciated!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned