The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

272 cam question

3rdstrikedsm

Not even with 280's If we are talking HKS?

3rdstrikedsm

They are not exactly known for quality and will need to be degreed to get the most performance value from them.

On another note I have seen them snap in half before which says they may have some qc issues.

Hks 272 is a good drop in cam however any cam should be degreed but HKS usually don't need much if any adjustment.

mitsuturbo

I would NOT run 272's without upgrading springs. Why would you run a cam that should make power all the way past 8k if youre not going to set up your valvetrain to handle it as well?

I've seen HKS 272 cams float valves on stock springs on more than one occasion. I just would not take that kind of chance with an engine that may be pushed hard. Especially if you're running the stock valves, as they seem to have more of a propensity for breakage when they contact pistons.

I'd recommend going with Kelford or GSC 272s, and a beehive spring setup.

I already had SuperTech dual springs that i'm running with my new Kelford 272's. The valves are a bit tight with them though.. with about 100# on the seat. I kind of wish i'd just bought the kelford spring setup too. At least i know i can pretty much rev as high as the car will make usable power, though.

broxma

I agree with the above post but it can still be done on a budget. Get Factory Evo Beehive springs and drop the HKS cams on. The Evo springs are good out to 8.5K and have more spring pressure than the stock 1G 4g63 springs do. In addition, since the spring cap is smaller and aluminum it reduces the weight substantially.

/brox

3rdstrikedsm

I have run HKS 272's for years on stock dsm valve trains with no ill effects just keep the redline to 8k and you should be good however I don't really know how much lift any other 272 may have so you could run in to problems with higher lift 272 cams and yes evo beehives are a good idea and cheap to.

vr4play

Its a shame with people stating they are seeing quality issues with the bc 272 cams. I was going to swap to a set this winter. On tuners a guy did a cam test and the bc's had the kind of power band I was looking for. Low end like my hks 264 and the big end of a 272. Maybe I will call the guys that are making the knock off cams and see if they will make a cam with similar specs but with out having to be degreed so much, I think its Delta cams. The guy making big power with them had some pretty aggressive cam timing, here is the post with dyno charts. click . He got 25hp on the big end.

Last edited:

I use the aforementioned Evo valve springs with my HKS 272s. Great upgrade for cheap. No problems hitting 8k on occasion. I usually just rev to 7500. Accidentally hit 10k on a missed shift two different times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif and luckily everything checked out ok. I definately won't be making a habit out doing that, though.

BpuVR4

pretty sure i'm gonna replace the valve cover gasket in the next couple weeks- my vc has never been off, but i'm 99% sure i've got 272's from the idle. any way to identify if the springs are upgraded?

EfiniX

Lol. I thought I had a/m cams because of my idle. Turns out I just had a failing fuel injector causing a bad idle.

May you fare better then I!

BpuVR4

haha i hope so too. well the previous owner claimed it, and it sounds just like my last vr4 which had verified 272s...but seriously you never know! she pulls pretty hard from 5500rpm as well.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts