The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Camshaft swap without cam gear removal. possible?

bazeng

Hi All,

Is it possible to swap out Cam shafts without removal of the timing belt or Cam gear?

Just want to reduce the time for this job..

Going from hks 272 to tomei 260s...

Any advice appreciated..

Thanks

G

Staff member
Yes, I believe it's dubbed a "dirty" cam swap and involves zip ties.

turbowop

I've done it. Just make sure you keep tension on the timing belt from above via bungie cords or something when you pull the sprockets off. Zip tie the belt to the cam sprockets. You still gotta release the tension off it with the long threaded rod first though.

JNR

I imagine if you have a hood installed, you can grab the other end from above somewhere..I did something similar with my nissan to hold up something, although if I need tension I would not use a bungee cord if it's not really taught, although if you have an assortment, then one of them is bound to be just the right length. If you don't have a hood installed, then would just need to be creative.

turbowop

I used one of the holes in the hood skeleton to anchor a bungie cord to. Like JNR said, use a bungie cord that is short enough to keep it taught though. I assumed that anybody doing this would know to not use a long floppy bungie... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

James

Hhmmmmmm how complicated is this? Maybe removing just the cams would be easier than rotating the motor over and over again to remove/install my new lifters

bazeng

Hi Guys,

Just an update.
I decided to do a full removal and swap because I needed to change the cam gears.
I had a set of Tomei Adjustable cam gears installed and the coating had worn through to the metal.

Check out the photos.

It now idles much better with the Tomei 260 / 260 cams and smaller injectors.

My quest for a more drivable car is coming along nicely.

I cannot recommend enough the AMS timing belt tools (cam gear tool). This allowed me to align the marks without the belt and simply slip the timing belt over without any fuss. It usually takes a bit of playing around to align the cam gears, not hard but can be annoying.

Before with Tomei cam gears and HKS 272/272 cams

Old setup and New setup

Lifters bled and reinstalled

New setup installed (Tomei 260/260 with SSR cam gears)

HKS 272/272 camshafts
Tomei cam gears - note metal visable through coating. Timing belt was OK though, no damage. HKS Timing belt was used.

New setup with timing marks all OK after a few rotations.
4mm drill bit used to gap tensioner.
AMS camshaft tool used to aling marks on cam gears.
Jay Racing tool used to rotate tensioner pulley.

How long does it normally take you guys to do a belt from start to finish?
This is the 5th timing belt I've done on these cars and it gets easier each time...

turbowop

I'm pretty fast at them now. I pulled the belt on 503 to install a new oil pump seal and had it apart and back together within a few hours taking my time in a cold garage.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned