The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2 questions

Spyder

Question 1:

I have a bad 1g head. It has been resurfaced and the cam journals have been line bored possibly, but they have been honed. To put it simply the head is shot. I spoke with Toybreaker and he wouldn't touch it.
Should I just take it to the scrap yard or is there still a use for it?

Question 2:

I am looking for specs on install height of eve 8 valves. Does anyone have a good source to find them? I have found one forum that lists some from some guy he knows but I would obviously prefer a credible source.

Thanks all.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Aren't the Evo valves dimensionally identical to the stock valves? I think they are, at least I know the intakes use the exact same replacement part number. If so, I can't think of anything you need to do differently. Are you running Evo springs too?

EHmotorsports

1.560 is the springs installed height in a 1g head.

Spyder

When I spoke with Toybreaker, he mentioned the springs need to be set up according to evo head specs. Those are the numbers I am looking for. Are they the same?

EHmotorsports

You can add a 30 shim and increase the spring pressure to 75 ish or run 1.560 to get 60-65lb pressure.
Are you running lighter valves? If so a lighter spring pressure is ok. What cams are you using? Make sure you don't go over .406 lift or you will coil bind with the evo springs.

EHmotorsports

Cool I just finished the same setup on my car. Works great

EHmotorsports

I picked everything up at one time from Thedsmguy.

Spyder

Update on my progress.

I couldn't find any evo valves so I got a set of supertech valves from jnz. They are the same weight as the stock 1g valves. Am I going to have any issues with using the beehive springs and retainers?

Should I use the 1g install height?

EHmotorsports

If you can use the evo install height. The reason there is an install height is to make sure you have the proper spring pressure at rest. I am using stock 1g height with no issues but then im not revving it to 9k haha.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned