The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Build Questions

The_Big_Weave

Looking to rebuild my motor, so I need some questions answered. Long story short, blew a ring landing and don't have the money to pull the motor and have it bored. So I am just re honing the cyl walls and then putting in a new set of Topline 8.0:1 pistons and rings. The question that I am having is that I replaced a cyl. and a rod from a donor car a while back with about the same mileage as me.

1. I was wondering if I should try and get my orignal rod back from a friend that is very hard to get in touch with, or do you think the donor rod will work? Put 1900 miles on the donor piston and rod and never had a problem? How do I know if they are off balance?

2. Also I am replacing the rod bolts with arp rod bolts anything different required to you these on stock rods?

3. Last question should I order ACL race bearing or are Topline rod bearings fine?

And any tips that you can give me on rebuilding my motor from this point.

thanks, weave

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Why don't you get some 2g pistons on 1g rods? I'm not a fan of Topline so I say go with ACL or Clevite for bearings.

Bearings are relatively cheap, so go with the best (such as ACL, Clevite).

If you're going to use ARP rod bolts it would be best to have a machine shop install them and have the rods reconditioned and balanced at the same time. They will make sure the big end of the rod is perfectly round after installing the rod bolts to the proper torque. It's not expensive. And if you want to use 2G pistons on stock rods, its the perfect opportunity to have the shop resize the small end for the 2G pistons. That's not expensive either (despite popular belief.) And if you want to be really precise, use a rod bolt stretch gauge when you put the rods in, instead of a torque wrench. It's the more accurate way to tighten rod bolts and ARP recommends it. I bought a decent stretch gauge from Jegs a while back, but I can't remember how much I paid.

The_Big_Weave

I looked at putting 2g pistons on and it was about 200 worth of shop work, I would rather just put brand new pistons in also. I have the pistons already so I cant got second gen pistons. Also you think I should get the rods balanced and reconditioned? Is it ok to just use a torque wrench on rod bolts or will I see problems with ARP rod bolts. I will order ACL bearing tonight.

Kenny_Kline

If you use ARP hardware on the rods, you will need to have them machined. Then you will need to have pistons pressed onto the rods then have them balanced.

Put in new bearings/rings, torque to spec, and call it a day.

Why not drop the block off at machine shop? Are you doing an in car rebuild? If so, your going to need to measure ring gap compared to the new rings to see how much, if any, has already been taken out to gap correctly. Also, you need to atleast ball hone the cylinders.

Last edited:

The_Big_Weave

I might get flamed for this but I am doing the build in the car. took oil pan and head off already and have pistons out and honed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts