The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g exhaust on a vr4 ?

frank1

I was wondering what kind of modification would I need to make a aftermarket exhaust frm a 1g awd on to my galant
are the both the same or one longer ?

rheckert

the exhaust will need to be lengthened approx. 14" to fit a galant.

frank1

Ok 14" from the middle ? Where can I weld to make it longer ?

prove_it

Wherever it works the best. Probably the middle, but depends on the exhaust. If there are bends and you add length to it, it could mess up and bends and touch on the body somewhere.

2of9

anything after the cat IIRC. The 1g test pipe fits in my galant.

fivestardsm

It really depends on the exhaust that you are trying to fit. The stock hangers on the body for the muffler, are different between the VR4 and the 1G. The VR4's muffler comes out straight or parralel to the gas tank, where the 1G is set on a slight angle wich is then compensated by the exhaust tips which make it appear to be straight.

I put a stock 1G cat back on to my GGSX, and it was a PITA. I figured it would be more straight forward, but realized after I got into it, that I would have been better off with bulilding a complete exhaust like I did on my VR4. Granted, It didnt take as long to "modify" the 1G exhaust as it did to build one from scratch, but it just tried my patience more.

Just my $.02

any custom work like that is a pain, i wanted to quiet my jet sounding straight 3" vr4
to limmit my tickets. I picked up a stock 06' evo8 exhaust and used the cat
and resonator from it, brought it to the muffler shop and had them put it all in.
100$ later i have a vr4 that sounds like and evo8 - Fun times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned