The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g DSM vs. GVR-4 front strut top hats

turbofonz

I realize the Galant ones are taller... will that affect ride hieght at all?

I put Evo8 front struts on my car with Tein Stech springs and 1g DSM top hats. If the Galant ones would lower the car more, I'd toss them on. I want the car lower (ricer!)

steve

IIRC the GVR4 and 1G are the same part number?

turbofonz

Galant ones stick up an inch or 2 more than the DSM ones.

broxma

What part sticks up more? Is the bushing that the strut rod slides through longer or in a different location in relationship to the plate?

/brox

turbofonz

Alright, I'm sure the picture speaks for itself as they'll be the same, but maybe someone has diferent experience.

Left - GR-2, GVR-4 h&r springs and GVR-4 tops
Right - Stock evo8 struts with Tein Stechs, 1g DSM tops:

51382.jpg

Notice how the top hat is taller on the galant.

I realize the pic shows everything to be pretty much identical size wise... But I was wondering if the Galant top would suck more of the strut up

broxma

That's what I wanted to see.

I noticed this on my 1G but it's really an illusion. The mount point, where the nut screws onto the strut tube, is the same height. The top of the hat extends further above the plane of the shock tower in the engine bay but they have the same tensioned height. Using one or the other should have no effect on stance. I'd go with whichever is in the best shape or lightest.

/brox

CutlassJim

That's strange. I remember I wasn't able to use my RRE 1G camber plates because the bolt pattern is different from a 1G to a Gaylant. 1G = 3 bolts at 12,4,8 O'clock and Galant = 4 bolts at 12,3,6,9 o'clock.

Pics!
This is with one of the holes lined up, you can see the other 2 are off a bit.
DSCN1847.jpg

From RRE's website.
1gstk-set.jpg

I guess the 1G bolts aren't 12,4,8 o'clock per se but they are definitely offset a little from being a straight 12,3,9 (in reference to my picture)

jepherz

Staff member
The bolt pattern between DSM and vr4 is ALMOST identical, except the vr4 bolt pattern is about an elongated hole (you can see this in your first picture above, notice the flat sections on the top and bottom of the pic) and the DSM is simply a circle.

dmj

I am sure Curtisco Industries can make adjustable camber plates like that for the Galant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Last edited:

conquesttsi

CutlassJim is right. I wasn't able to use my full bracketed 1g strut tower brace for the same reason.

Edit: Are the 92 GVR4's different?

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Hmm, I put new 1g tops on my agx when I put them in my '91, and I don't remember any fit issues. I then moved them to my '92 when I put the Teins and coilovers in the '91.

jepherz

Staff member
Hmm, I'm really confused then. I remember the front and rear bolts on a vr4 being like 1/4" further apart...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I thought about this some more after my post. I think the rotation orientation may be different. I will have to look at it when I get home.

I agree the camber plates are not interchangeable, at least to retain adjustment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned