The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#1900 - 'GOLFBALL' build - 2.4-AUTO-NITROUS.... Street car?

Terry Posten

The ECU issues is a 1G issue as well. Same with the auto tranny guys. They need replaced as well.

I have even started doing BMW climate control units for the same issue.

GolfBall

Yeah i guess i deff need to get on top of fixing that ECU problem.....

here are some more progress pics.... started taking stuff apart and diggin into the engine bay to see what i got goin on in there....

PIC_0382.jpg

made a little EGR block off plate.... my egr was nasty dirty, im surprised if it even worked....
PIC_0383.jpg

PIC_0384.jpg

Pulled the charcoal filter out.... i disconnected it here i hope thats ok.... not sure where the other tube runs off too....

PIC_0387.jpg

PIC_0386.jpg

Pulled all the factory air box stuff out to clear some space....
If anyone see's anything that can be removed just point it out to me... .HAHAHA....

PIC_0388.jpg

PIC_0385.jpg

PIC_0389.jpg

PIC_0391.jpg

PIC_0390.jpg

man these stock td05 turbo's are SMAAAAAAALLLL hahaha.... esp when i compare it to my jetta's t70....

PIC_0393.jpg

my index finger bout clogges the intake....

Last edited by a moderator:

bob92vr4

i dont know if you thought of this but might hava good pdr guy (paintless dent repair) look at it and give you a estimate to repair the hail could be cheaper. just a thought. good luck bro!

GolfBall

i need input on what kinda turbo to go with....

thinking dsm link
60-1 maybe....
1000cc injectors
big front mount
act 2600

then new pads and rotors all around.
new tires.

then go from there and drive it to see how she holds up....

turbowop

We need to know your goals before we help you decide on a turbo. "Wanna make it fast" is a bit vague.

Last edited:

Quoting bob92vr4:
i dont know if you thought of this but might hava good pdr guy (paintless dent repair) look at it and give you a estimate to repair the hail could be cheaper. just a thought. good luck bro!

It would be a fortune unless you knew a guy. I just went through that. I got quoted in the thousands and that is minus the hood and trunk. Be patient and look around.

GolfBall

Quote:
We need to know your goals before we help you decide on a turbo. "Wanna make it fast" is a bit vague.

well i want at least low 11's...

which looking around people are doing that on pump gas and a 50 trim.... so maybe my goals should be a 10.999999999 hahahha

i am deff gonna run e85 cause i have seen all my friends convert to it and run way better everything....

turbowop

Weight reduction plays a pretty large role in what people run with certain turbos on these cars. Keep that in mind. Not everybody runs low 11's with a 50trim.

GolfBall

DSM link with eprom ecu ordered and in the mail....

gettin paid friday and gettin 1000cc injectors and a walbro fuel pump...

GolfBall

Got some more progress done....

PIC_0395.jpg

PIC_0394.jpg

manifold was dominated....

PIC_0396.jpg

PIC_0397.jpg

pic_0399.jpg

cracks all over it....

PIC_0398.jpg

the intake side of the turbo was good....

PIC_0400.jpg

exhaust side not so much....

PIC_0401.jpg

PIC_0403.jpg

got my new injectors...

PIC_0407.jpg

little bit of a difference...

PIC_0411.jpg

started taking some weigh off...

PIC_0413.jpg

Piles of parts now....

PIC_0414.jpg

PIC_0415.jpg

PIC_0416.jpg

GolfBall

Got some more parts in.....

PIC_0434.jpg

PIC_0435.jpg

PIC_0436.jpg

my massive 38mm wastegate...

PIC_0441.jpg

PIC_0438.jpg

hard to tell but the new ones a lot more open inside (and i did some mild porting to make it as smooth as possible)

PIC_0439.jpg

got some preliminary bumper cutting done for the FMIC

PIC_0444.jpg

YEAH FOR THE WHINNER.... walbro 255....

PIC_0445.jpg

gonna try again to install it tonight.... all the bolts on the gas tank are rusted out...

PIC_0446.jpg

GolfBall

you know it.... i have one on my other car for two years now and its got zero shaft play and pulls hard so i dont complain....

i mainly just wanna get it together and running then i will upgrade later....

GolfBall

got some mild updates.... only the pictures i had on my phone....

this is the joy i go to have trying to get the fuel pump out....

photo.jpg

4 of 6 studs broke off..... but got the new walbro mounted up and hooked up....

photo1.jpg

made a little throttle body block off plate.... here is what the whole thing looks like...

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

got more accomplished but dont have pics yet.... i will take some and get em up here....

GolfBall

mounted up the front mount.....

photo1-1.jpg

got the turbo and mani mounted up ..... GOSH jrod and snax got to see how much that sucked to do....
-also got the oil lines all in and on which also sucked balls...

photo2-1.jpg

got the half radiator mounted up with the 12" slim fan.... still gotta wire it in....

photo3-1.jpg

and lastly..... got all my boost piping cut mocked up and tacked together gonna do the finish welding and polishing prolly tomm in the morning...

photo-1.jpg

turbowop

Is the turbo oil drain actually going over and around the front crossmember? Or is it just hanging there and I can't see the unfinished end? I know there are limits as to how far rotated from straight up/down the feed and drain need to be for proper draining and that center section looks clocked quite a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Piping looks nice, but maybe you want to throw one or two couplers in there somewhere. Seems like it'd be a hassle to have to remove the whole pipe to access something in the engine bay if needed.

Last edited:

GolfBall

Quoting turbowop:
Is the turbo oil drain actually going over and around the front crossmember? Or is it just hanging there and I can't see the unfinished end? I know there are limits as to how far rotated from straight up/down the feed and drain need to be for proper draining and that center section looks clocked quite a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Piping looks nice, but maybe you want to throw one or two couplers in there somewhere. Seems like it'd be a hassle to have to remove the whole pipe to access something in the engine bay if needed.

yeah its a little cocked but its as vertical as i can get it without removing the front motor mount.... i think it will work worse case i will just have to redo it again....

and i dont know anything about your setup i just know on other fast cars i have had once you start running a lot of boost it sucks balls blowing off couplers.... so for me the less couplers the better.... (the piping is still really easy to remove the way it is)

UPDATE.... got a bunch more done....

finished welding up all the seems on the boost pipe and mounted up the BOV where i want it.

photo5-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

its gonna be low and out of the way but should be nice and loud outside the car...

photo2-2.jpg

then made myself a little downpipe.... wish i woulda bought some 3 " mandrel bends.... this will still flow just as good but damn is it a ton more work....

photo9.jpg

my entire boost system is 7 welds.... the downpipe alond is 10.

photo8.jpg

for now im just running it to here.... just past the motor with a turndown.... gonna be loud and fun...

photo1-2.jpg

then lastly i did the wastegate dump tube..... which fortunately was really really easy...

photo-2.jpg

So yeah pretty darn close to done now... gotta intall the ecu and wire up the fan and stuff like that....

then as soon as my MAFT gets here, hopefully tommorrow i can start this bia up and see what happens...

Last edited by a moderator:

ApexHunter

I like how you are making your own stuff. I'm gonna learn to weld one of these days.

Post up some vids of that thing, i'm sure it will be loud and fun like you stated above. Fly by vids a must. Preferably one fly by where the car begins from a dead stop to get the full effect. In car vid would be cool too.

Lonewolf64

The build is looking good. Just a few comments that may or may not help. You will want to recirculate your BOV unless you are planning on running a speed density setup. At the very least you should look into upgrading from a 1g MAS to either a 2g or 3g MAS because the 1g MAS is a major restriction. With the 255 pump, it's also highly recommended to replace the stock FPR with an aftermarket unit, because that pump will overrun the stock FPR causing a very rich condition at idle.

So far so good! Congratulations on saving one of these awesome cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: Just noticed you are planning to use a GM MAFT. Ignore that part about changing out the MAS and having to recirculate the BOV.

Last edited:

Quoting fastjetta:

its gonna be low and out of the way but should be nice and loud outside the car...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned