The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

17s or 18s opinions.

GSX_TC

Quoting bobdole:
This is my old car on 18inch. I had AGX shocks and H&R springs. The ride was nice.

scan0003akn.jpg

That's an interesting hood that car had, I know the car is long gone but you wouldn't happen to have more pics of that hood would ya?

bobdole

Mike it is a stock hood w/some fake vents. Can't remember where I got them from.

boostx

I would say 17"

5OF2k

16's or 17's only, IMHO. If 16's and you can fit them on the rims, 225/45(or50)/16, or 205/55/16(like the factory DSMs came with, for instance). For 17's, some 225/45/17 look mean. Not overly big to where it looks like your car is a DONK; raised up to fit the wheels(no offense BobDole, but that's what I think of of the above posted car)

I've seen a few GVR4's on factory 16-inch Talon and Eclipse rollers that looked absolutely cramazingly fantasmical. Then again, thats just my personal opinion....

I'll see if I cant post some decent pics of my car on my 16s later today(If I can remember, that is....lol)

-Jake

bobdole

5OF2k: Just so I read this right. You think my old car looks like a Donk? I did have to jack it up to change the oil lol.

5OF2k

Kind of, yea. The stance reminds me of people lifting the cars to fit big wheels under it. It literally looks like their shoe-horned in there.... Like i saod thoug, just my opinion. Counts about as much as the food at hooters lol

-Jake

transparentdsm

^ but your opinion doesn't make me sick.

i dont even really like the way 17's look. i like 16's with big tires on them, 1078 has stock 2g rims with 225/55/16's on them and it looks awesome. Although, i personally love the stock 5 spoke VR4 15's with 205's or 215's more than anything on our cars. i think they look the best, but that just my opinion. i understand for reason more then just looks a bigger rim/tire is better, but im not on a track and im not street racing anyone. im driving it to enjoy it, not push it and myself to our limits.

galant651

well i got my 17s on monday, got em all painted up today and should have my tires tomorrow. ill post some pics when i get em on.

turbowop

Quoting 5OF2k:
Kind of, yea. The stance reminds me of people lifting the cars to fit big wheels under it. It literally looks like their shoe-horned in there

The setup he has is probably barely larger in overall diameter than the factory 15's. My 17" setup is larger by 5mm. That's nothing, really.

You can do 18's and keep the same overall diameter. How the car is "stanced" over any given wheel is dependent upon the suspension setup, so perhaps you just haven't seen a car with 18's "shoehorned" on that you feel looks right with its given suspension. Like I said, I'm not a fan of 18's on our cars, but I don't think they look like donks at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

cheekychimp

^^^ Mark I need to meet this girl of yours ... she seems to have made you very mellow in your old age /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

turbowop

Quoting cheekychimp:
^^^ Mark I need to meet this girl of yours ... she seems to have made you very mellow in your old age /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Just you wait. Nobody's told me to stop shitting up the thread yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

4Grim

16's but 17's look very proportioned to the GVR4 body size. I had Evo 8 wheels and now BBS wheels..both in 17's and they both look just right. I slapped on my 18's from my other car on the GVR4 and it did not look right at all IMO.
20130313_141331_Hagrid_zps2a5a368c.jpg

boostx

Kevin if I remember those BBS looked good on the VR4. Pics please

5OF2k

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting 5OF2k:
Kind of, yea. The stance reminds me of people lifting the cars to fit big wheels under it. It literally looks like their shoe-horned in there

The setup he has is probably barely larger in overall diameter than the factory 15's. My 17" setup is larger by 5mm. That's nothing, really.

You can do 18's and keep the same overall diameter. How the car is "stanced" over any given wheel is dependent upon the suspension setup, so perhaps you just haven't seen a car with 18's "shoehorned" on that you feel looks right with its given suspension. Like I said, I'm not a fan of 18's on our cars, but I don't think they look like donks at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That's very possible(of course dependant on tire size, mainly), but perhaps it's due to the color of it on the car. Mike's doesnt look anything like a donk to me, but then again he's a LOT lower and has JDM bumpers(which does make a world of difference, looks-wise).

Alls Im saying is, 18s are pushing it to me, and it reminds me of a donk. rubberband tires on too big of a wheel make anything look funky, to me.

And, I also forgot to put pic of my carwith the 16s on my PB to post here lol. dammit.

Mark, you do seem to have calmed down a bit man......you sure you dont want to call me an idiot because my opinion doesnt exactly mirror yours.....?? trollololololol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jake

transparentdsm

here is 1078 on the 16's, i like the ride hight and the springs aren't to stiff. might get some kyb gr2's for it though, struts are a little squeaky.

here is 138 on the 15's, it could use some lowering springs, id only like to drop it maybe an inch and use 2g top hats to level it out.

wop, what size are those bronze/gold BBS that you have on 1051?

Last edited:

cheekychimp

This is the only photo I have of the 18s on the other car. I can't believe I didn't take any when it was on the ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

To be honest I didn't think they looked any different to the EVO rims, probably because of the black on black (tyre and rim) and the similar overall diameter.

turbowop

I haven't really calmed down guys. Just nobody has been a prick in this thread so I haven't had to call anybody out for doing so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I just call it as I see it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The BBS LM's on 1051 are 17 x 8.

jogalant

Quoting MarW90GSX:
16's all the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Funny how rim size and width can change the Galant's personality. MarW90GSX's ride looks like it's ready to sow terror Friday night. That thing looks like it can handle a few G's, LOL.

bobdole's ride on the other hand has a very civilized look to it. The perfect car to go pimpin' with on a Friday night.

I like 'em both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

bobdole

Those pictures where taken 14 years ago. How times have changed. I still love how she looked and I would take her back in a heart beat. I waited 4 months for those wheels. Slow boat from Japan.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned