The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

16g swap

James

I'm picking up a evo3 16g here soon and while I've had cars with it, I've never swapped it myself. I know it a direct swap on a 1g but I want to make sure I have everything I need for the install.

How many Crush washers and sizes? 8?
Normal 1g turbo gasket set? Or are some things different sizes.
Also picking up a new 1g oil drain line.

Anything else you guys would suggest?

MellowVR4

click

These are the fittings and copper washers you should need. Pretty sure that you dont have a 13g in there, so the 14b oil and water lines would fit the 16g.

James

They are the only two gaskets I need? I see on rockauto there's a gasket kit with quite a few others like oil drain gaskets.

But I assume that kit would come with a 6cm gasket.

Can the 6cm be opened up to work?

MellowVR4

yea you can everything u need on extremespi

jnava

Staff member
Don't forget the anti seize. They are notorious for snapping off. If your able to pull all four bolts without an issue, apply anti-seize. Replace your oil drain gaskets, turbo and oil pan. Before you start the car, pull the fuse for the fuel pump. Give it a few turns so you can have oil in your head so your turbo gets oiled up. You should be good to go.

EHmotorsports

And make sure you use High temp antiseize. My favorite is the copper high temp.

James

On the turbo to mani? Or on the oil feed and drain? Or all of it.

EHmotorsports

Turbo to manifold bolts as well as the bolts for the down pipe to turbo.

jnava

Staff member
I've never snapped off any oil drain bolts. I have snapped a few manifold to turbo bolts. The o2 housing bolts as well. Get it done so you wont have deal with it later.

James

ok so the most newbie thing being asked here just so im clear and have something to come back to suring the install and make sure i have everything (gasket wise)

click

left to right row 1 to 2

1- turbo to o2 gasket
2- Manifold to turbo gasket
3-
4-
5- Jpipe gasket
6- oil drain turbo side (interchangeable)
7- oil drain pan side (interchangeable
8- oil feed gasket? turbo side?
9- oil feed gasket? oil filter housing?

jnava

Staff member
You are talking about 8, the copper washers, right?
Edit: o2 to dp as well.

Last edited:

James

I think im just overly tired trying to order these parts. I know im going to order the wrong size banjo bolt or something and be screwed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

jnava

Staff member
Don't worry, all the sizes are readily available. Just don't get in too much of a hurry. Are you feeding from the head or ofh?

James

Yea it's the timing that's a problem. Waiting for the correct parts to ship if I order the wrong ones. The turbo should be here (I'm hoping) 2 days before my vacation. Ill be driving the Lant about 3,000 miles over 2 weeks time on this vacation and if I don't get the turbo installed on time ill be spending my vacation sitting on my couch trying to explain to my buddy why he flew down to Florida from NJ for no reason.

To tell you the truth I'm not sure where its fed from currently. I assume the head as that's the factory 1g setup, right?

I closed out my order for the night and ill finish it up tomorrow morning when I can actually keep my eyes open. 26 hours awake now!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned