The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The heartbreaker dyno

sublimesnfu

So I've finally started driving 1126 daily after getting a dyno tune. The max HP they got out of her was 311hp and 272tq which I feel is a bit . I would love some guidance and or feedback as this is my first trip down the rabbit hole of tuning and modding cars. I'd say she is fast and fun now. The tune was setup for daily driving but I want to know what I need to do to get more power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Link to the second to last dyno run, pretty close to the final numbers (they haven't emailed me the final dyno sheet yet) web page

Mods
2.5 IC with front mount
20G turbo running 20-21psi
2.5 turbo back
EVO3 Exhaust and O2 housing
720 PTE injectors
DSM Link V3 lite
AC Delete
Fidanza flywheel
2G MAF (was told my intake tube wasn't an ideal setup for smooth airflow)
Snow Meth Kit with the meth injecting about 24 inch from throttle body

Compression is between 151-154 across the board

cheekychimp

I'd say your compression looks a bit low, so maybe a worn bottom end?

I don't think those numbers are bad but I accept that for a 20G you'd expect more. Id start looking for boost leaks. I'm not saying you have any but if you do it will prevent you taking advantage of all 21 psi and probably mean that turbo isn't being pushed to it's full potential. I was going to ask about fuel pressure but if you have a meth kit I would imagine you have sufficient fuel. Who tuned it? Are they good? Again not suggesting anything just want to know if you are confident that the fuelling and timing has been optimized in order that that can be crossed off the list.

Also this is very much personal preference but I never liked having a lightened flywheel. I never felt that the advantages it offered (faster revving engine) offset all the negatives. Then again I don't know if it would make any difference to maximum torque, just where it comes in.

SSGdave

what fuel are you running? Pump Gas???

turbowop

Quoting cheekychimp:
I'd say your compression looks a bit low, so maybe a worn bottom end?

Naw, those are actually decent compression numbers. My stock bottom end is 145psi across. She's a bit tired, but still putting down decent power.

Diego

Still low to some standards.... I would be freshening it up.

turbowop

I disagree. Why fix it if it ain't broke? Especially since the compression differential between cylinders is close. Stock compression is what? 160psi? I'm not sure it's worth the time and money to freshen up the engine for 5psi and most likely insignificant gains. Guys have run 9's on motors with 120psi.

desant78

^I'm with Wop. My motor was 150 to 155 across the board. Sure tired, but I now have 35K miles of hard driving on it. I still pull plenty hard, and am getting to drive my car.

I am aware my motor is tired, and there will reach a point when I need to do a rebuild. But, for the last 1.5 years I've been fine without it, allowing me to drive the car and figure out what I want to do in the future.

To sum up my point, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

transparentdsm

311 hp with a 2.5" exhaust, 20-21 psi on a daily driver tune is pretty good. im sure there is room left for timing and more fuel to be added in and we all know there is more boost to be had. considering the tune i think he has great HP numbers and as mentioned in past threads each dyno is different with its loads and settings so whos to say he cant go to a different dyno and put down different hp. i don't like to use this example, but Mike V. made 391hp on the fist dyno and went to that event and only hit 260hp. there is that to consider.

edit: go to the track and get a 1/4 mile number. thats a better way to tell HP in my opinion.

Last edited:

turbowop

Even 1/4 mile E.T. is more about the driver than power. Look at trap speed vs. weight of the car to see what kind of power it's really putting down.

Any compression numbers above 150psi on a stock 7.8:1 compression shortblock is great. That's not tired at all, IMO. Run it until it dies I say...or until you wanna put down well over 500whp. Then a proper build is in order.

It's also something to note just how well built these factory engines are. Don't tear into it unless you really have to. These things are stout as f*** so long as nobody has been in there messing around. I trust the factory build/tolerances way more than any local machine shop. I realize there are great shops that do excellent work, but you gotta go out of the way to find them.

MellowVR4

That compression is fine! Mines is at 155 across the board, and that was right after I rebuilt it.

MellowVR4

Yea isnt the mustang dyno off a bit, versus the dynojet?

transparentdsm

Quoting turbowop:
Even 1/4 mile E.T. is more about the driver than power. Look at trap speed vs. weight of the car to see what kind of power it's really putting down.

im sorry, mark your correct and this is what i meant. i was being brief and short handed about it.

transparentdsm

Quoting MellowVR4:
That compression is fine! Mines is at 155 across the board, and that was right after I rebuilt it.

at sea level mine was 155 across the board after rebuild, that was with a MLS 1.2 mm thick headgasket up here at 6300 ft i have 125

MellowVR4

Oh wow.

JCorbo25

Quoting MellowVR4:
Yea isnt the mustang dyno off a bit, versus the dynojet?

Yes, Mustang dynos read the lowest out of dynos. Dynojets are typically on the high end. But there are HUGE variations between dynos even of the same make/model and even on the SAME dyno under different software settings or air conditions.

Sounds like you are making solid power and where I'd like my car to be. A solid DD with enough power to kick the crap out of most cars.

On the local mustang here, a stock Evo 8/9 would dyno 220whp (no tuning) and ~250whp tuned.

92_talon_awd

My 2g made mid 500's on a dynojet and only 398 on a dyno dynamics. I was dissapointed until an EvoX with full exhaust and intake only made in the 240's. Only a built up Evo 8 came within 20 of me so I was happy when it was all said and done. I have a local mustang and dyno dynamics so when I get my VR4 where I want it I'm gonna run it on both to see which one reads lower.

Last edited:

sublimesnfu

Thanks guys for the feedback I really appreciate it. After reading about the mustang dyno those numbers do seem pretty good. I trust the tuner, while they don't work on a lot of DSMs they turn out plenty of STIs, EVOs and have built a few 1000+HP GTRs in house.

I'm running 90 octane gas here. Do you think I'll see a noticeable improvement from going to a 3in exhaust and a built head? My tuner said the way things sit with my car right now turning up the boost would help my tq a little but towards the top end everything falls off right after 6500 rpm.

I'm just trying to decide which route to go from here, go with a built head, a new exhaust system to improve flow and fresh tune or go fully built stroker and max my 20G out?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned