The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The heartbreaker dyno

92_talon_awd

If it was me I'd upgrade the exhaust and then move on to the shortblock. I never do anything to my head beyond cams and 3g lifters, had beefier spring on my last car cause I revved it high with the big turbo on it. Always made plenty of power for me without porting, manifolds, or valves. I wouldn't go beyond cams and springs unless I was trying to make big big power. Just my .02

Last edited:

MellowVR4

Quoting transparentdsm:
Quoting MellowVR4:
That compression is fine! Mines is at 155 across the board, and that was right after I rebuilt it.

at sea level mine was 155 across the board after rebuild, that was with a MLS 1.2 mm thick headgasket up here at 6300 ft i have 125

So do you notice a huge difference? Do you feel your car got slower then before you moved? I'm curious.

transparentdsm

i drive my car a lot, so i go to sac and san fran, there at sea level and i can feel the difference. down there im much much faster. the car picks up a bit and feels crisper on excel. the thin air up here makes the car breather a little harder. it also effects my vacuum readings by about 5 hg/in brings it down to 14 and when i go to sac/san fran it goes back up to 19-20, even dropping down to reno at 3xxx foot elevation brings it up to 17-18 and the car feels a little bit faster. barometric pressure really changes the car. also when i make these drives to sac or reno for the first few miles once i get there the wideband goes a little crazy and then levels its self back out again, its crazy to watch.

EfiniX

Quoting sublimesnfu:
So I've finally started driving 1126 daily after getting a dyno tune. The max HP they got out of her was 311hp and 272tq which I feel is a bit . I would love some guidance and or feedback as this is my first trip down the rabbit hole of tuning and modding cars. I'd say she is fast and fun now. The tune was setup for daily driving but I want to know what I need to do to get more power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Link to the second to last dyno run, pretty close to the final numbers (they haven't emailed me the final dyno sheet yet) web page

Mods
2.5 IC with front mount
20G turbo running 20-21psi
2.5 turbo back
EVO3 Exhaust and O2 housing
720 PTE injectors
DSM Link V3 lite
AC Delete
Fidanza flywheel
2G MAF (was told my intake tube wasn't an ideal setup for smooth airflow)
Snow Meth Kit with the meth injecting about 24 inch from throttle body

Compression is between 151-154 across the board

I've got a similar setup on my rig (see my build-thread in the general forum). I'm taking mine to English Racing for a dyno tune next Friday. I'll let you know my numbers and we can see what the differences are.

jepherz

Staff member
I don't think anyone called out the fact that every compression tester is going to be a little different. Maybe 150 on your gauge reads 155 on the next. Like Mark said, you're looking for consistancy across the board.

sublimesnfu

Can't tell you what my 70-90 is right now my IC started leaking, going to try to fix it now. Running stock cams. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

presterone

When I've seen multiple stock cars put flywheel power to the wheels on a dynojet I start to wonder. So many variables involved and drive train loss is never linear. Also if you dynoed on a mustang or Dyno dynamics there is slight room for operater error

Furbasher

Factory Service limit for Compression is 121psi. With a variance of 14psi between cylinders.

Not saying that is optimal but far from "needing a rebuild"

sublimesnfu

So after fixing the leaky intercooler I'm back to driving 1126 and am wondering the route to get her up another 100-200 HP at the wheels, she currently is sitting at 315 to the wheels after the last dyno run on a Mustang. Not complaining just want more and I think I could sit happy with around 450

Current setup is 20g, 2.5 IC and turbo back, DSM link V3 720cc injectors and a 255 pump, Snow Meth Kit, 2G Maf

I'm planning on going with a built block and lightly ported head with 272 cams,

I'm wondering what more I can expect with some more fuel and better airflow with the head and a bigger exhaust.

89Patches

If you have some money to spend heres what I'd do. Seen a 2g with this setup at Mangus worked so well.

2.3L stroker
built head w/ Kelford 272's
Magnus V3
1000cc ID's
In tank 340lph fuel pump.
FP bolt on 3076.
3" intercooler piping.
-8an feed/-6an return

Car made 490whp @25psi on straight pump no meth. And the spool was stupid fast and pulled all the way to 8500rpm!
I am basically copying this setup with my car because it worked so well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned