The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new owner, new engine

DR1665

Let me just say that putting this much effort into a car you listed for sale because you were sick of working on it and wanted to get into something different is really hard. Still, it's going to a good guy, and I want to make sure he has a solid, reliable platform to work with. In 2 weeks, I'm picking ktmrider up at the airport and handing him the keys to his next GVR4. Thought I would share some pictures of the progress made in the last month.

Old engine coming out. Was making some kind of noise in the head after a turbo swap and leaking oil like a BP oil rig.
20120225_142307-495x371.jpg

I awoke my v3 lifters and rocker arms from their slumber in clean, Rotella T6, then buttoned up the head gear with assembly lube.
20120310_125031-495x371.jpg

New cam seals.
20120310_125127-495x371.jpg

New timing belt, tensioner/idler pulleys, water/oil pumps, BSEK installed.
20120310_135804-495x371.jpg

After a couple weeks spent cleaning and preparing things. It was finally engine install day.
20120317_101627-495x371.jpg

If you've been in this position, you know how much it sucks.
20120317_125920-495x371.jpg

Fresh engine going back into 464/1000.
20120317_135116-495x371.jpg

Not bad, if I do say so myself.
20120317_150749-495x371.jpg

Of course, then it started raining...
20120318_111842-495x371.jpg

As difficult as it is to put this much effort into a $2500 car, it's exciting to know I'm making it extra special for a friend. I have 2 Saturdays, 1 Sunday, and a handful of evenings after work to get this car back up to 100% for Mike before he arrives in Phoenix to collect it. Quite the project. Figured I'd share a glimpse into what I've been up to. More details on Tarmac & Gravel.

Press on regardless.

desant78

+1 for a great job keeping these cars in good shape, and one hell of a great seller.

this thread shows your passion for these cars. keep it up!

ktmrider

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

ktmrider

Time groweth nearer and nearer, already two boxes of parts waiting patiently.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

DR1665

Indeed, sir. Thy chariot shall soon rise from the depths of mine cluttered garage.

I hope to be driving it this weekend to sort out the last of the bugs.

DR1665

T-minus 7 days until Mike's flight lands at Skyharbor.

Got the MAS cleaned, K&amp;N oiled up, and set my sights on driveline lubrication. Had to drive some 25 miles across town to get all the Redline fluids I needed - 3qts HD Shockproof for the tcase and rear diff, 2qts MTL for the transmission. Ended up running a mix of MTL/MT-90/Diaqueen (in that order) in the transmission... <b>only to watch it start pissing out the passenger side axle seal!</b>

<i>Mother f***er.</i>

Only reason I didn't install them before the engine went in was A) they weren't leaking previously and B) there was only ONE in the entire Phoenix metro area at a dealership parts counter (which was $35). f***. Nothing like slopping fresh gear oil all over the place (no matter what you do, it gets everywhere), only to have to drain it back out and collect it in a clean container.

Hit JB Autosport. Not shown.
Hit JNZ. Page took forever to load, McAffee threw up a warning. Not shown.
Rock Auto had both in-stock, on the site, under $12 before $20 in 2-day shipping. (Not paying $50 for overnight.)

Coolant is topped off, just needs to be "burped" once the engine is running.

Need to terminate one of the electrical connections on the tstat housing (single spade, connector broke).

Otherwise, all I need to do is install the MAS and snorkel to the compressor inlet, connect the intake hose that runs to the throttle body, test fire, set base timing, dial-in TPS, and swap stereos between 464 and the Raider.

<b>SO FAWKING CLOSE.</b>

Tomorrow I'm going to see about getting the engine wrapped up in the morning. It was 95° or so here today, only supposed to be in the mid-70s tomorrow. Don't need the transmission to set timing. Knock on wood, gentlemen. NO MORE SURPRISES.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Brian, I've had that p/s seal leak on an install myself.

Turns out, in my case, I'm a dumbass and I didn't have the axle all the way in to the tranny.

It felt/looked like it was in and golden, but the c-clip didn't pop oot into the receiving groove all the way.

From that experience, I've learned to give the p/s axle (and the rear axles as well) a shot on the end with a deadblow to ensure they are up close and personal like with the gearbox. I thread the nut back on a few turns and use a plastic faced deadblow to keep from buggering up the threads, but you can just lay a 2x4 up against it and clout it with a rusty claw hammer if you don;t have a deadblow handy.

I've also found it really helps to hold the axle as level/straight as possible, compress it towards the tranny so the inner c.v. bottoms out, and then just a little smack on the end will pop it home. You'll feel it "pop" and know it's a done deal.

If you aren't sure it's succesffully seated, try and pry it back out of the gearbox.

Insert a decent prybar against the inner c.v. and give it a twist dont pry, just twist it while trying to pull the axle out. Give it a good wiggle, it'll pop back out if it isn't seated.

edit I would also recommend against running the engine very much before refilling the transmission. The input shaft will be turning, and that's a recipe for disaster if the tranny is dry.

Good luck, and if you need anything, let me know and I'll get it headed your way with a quickness.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting ktmrider:
Time groweth nearer and nearer, already two boxes of parts waiting patiently.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

any and all warranties, both express and implied, are null and void if the correct vocabulary is not observed whilst wrenching on this car

... just saying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

DR1665

Thanks for the advice, John. I hadn't thought about the input shaft spinning. Considering the new seals are inbound and should arrive on Wednesday, I think I'll take a break from the filthy, undercar work, and set my sights on the interior for a bit. Got to swap radios and speakers so Mike has at least some tunes for his driving around Phoenix and on his way back home with the car at the end of the month.

This is also a good opportunity to detail the interior. It's only supposed to get into the low 70s here today, which means it would be a good day to clean and condition the leather. Then I can leave the conditioner on with windows rolled up to bake in over the rest of the week. Come Saturday, I can buff the seats really nice and focus my attention on the exterior.

Don't know that I need anything mechanical, but I will keep my eyes peeled, sir. As always, can't thank you enough for your support, John.

Hondasi88

2500 wow........I swear i have spent that on labor alone in the past few months. Man i need better friends in my life or friends like you!

DR1665

We're almost done, here. Test drove the car yesterday. Clutch needs bled some more (and/or clutch pedal adjustment is required with the new ACT clutch), and it wants to break up a bit under acceleration, but I'm driving it to the shop tonight after work to iron out the last of the wrinkles. Things go well, I'll be driving it to work tomorrow and delivering to ktmrider afterward.

This car is now nicer than it ever was when I bought it. Doesn't leak a drop of anything. New belts, hoses, hose clamps, gaskets, fluids, and more.

If it weren't going to such a good home, I'd be rather depressed.

Idle: click

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting DR1665:
If it weren't going to such a good home, I'd be rather depressed.

... not to worry

with that all inclusive life-time warranty {tm} I'm sure you'll see it again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DR1665

I am so pwnt!

Last night, I drove the car to Keith's shop, very gingerly manhandling it into first gear from what seemed like every possible red light along the way. Pedal was engaging right off the floor, wanted to grind going into first or reverse from a dead stop. Although we're running the flywheel and pressure plate which was in 464 before the engine went down and a lightly used ACT 2100 Keith had at the shop, neither of my Galant have EVER had problems with the pedal, fork, or pivot ball, and I was reluctant to do the contortions required to adjust the pedal unless I absolutely HAD to.

At the shop, we bled the clutch. No dice.
We adjusted the shifter cables. No dice.
We replaced the slave cylinder. SOLID GOLD, BABY.

Dialed in base timing. Gave the car a final once-over. And gently abused it in the now empty industrial park.

This is what these cars felt and sounded like when they were brand new. OMG. I have never been in a nicer Galant - and I've been in 3/1000. 464 sounded like the Sewing Machine of Justice as it confidently raced through the compound. It was at this moment I realized why I wanted a GVR4 in the first place and I hoped that 195/2000, collecting dust in my garage, would one day feel like that. Just incredible.

Huge weight lifted, I hit the road for a victory lap around NW Phoenix on my way home. I'd forgotten my phone at home and had no idea what time it was (though I knew it wasn't 7:40, as the clock and radio reported), but it didn't matter. We were WOT onto the highway, transmission shifting like it was filled with golden butter from heaven, 12psi rock solid to redline, not even a hint of smoke from the exhaust.

As I made the transition from I-17 to the Loop 101, it started to make some noise. Sounded like a small exhaust leak. Makes sense; as many times as I've had that exhaust and turbo installed/removed in the last couple months. A little heat cycling probably means I need to re-torque the hardware. No worries. Within a mile, the exhaust leak grew louder. I clutch-in and free-revved the engine. Yup. Definitely indexed to boost. Deciding not to push my luck, I got off at the next exit and made a B-line for the house.

At the exit ramp stoplight, the exhaust was noticeably louder. Blipping the throttle, I thought about how it sounded like an open wastegate on one of them race cars at the DSM Shootout. I half regretted having to make it go away because it was kinda cool. The car felt fast. It was really starting to sound fast too.

At the next stoplight, it sputtered a bit. That's strange. I wonder which exhaust bolts might have come loose? There's no chance the turbo is going to fall off, but man, this is getting pretty loud.

At the nest stoplight, it died. It would not restart. Starter cranked and cranked, and there was a soft sputter about every fourth rotation. WTF.

Temp gauge = perfect.
No CEL.
No leaks.
No steam.
No smoke.
MAF connected.
Intake plumbing connected (though the MAF/upper snorkel were loose, tightening changed nothing).
CAS connected.
Injectors connected.
Plug wires connected.

Two EMTs just getting off-shift stopped to help me push the car through the intersection into a bus stop pull out, then went about their business.

No idea what time it was, I began the walk home. It was about 2 miles. (No phone. Remember?) From the peak of victory to the depths of defeat in 15 minutes. From the nicest Galant I've ever driven to the worst night of my life. Ugh. I got home, grabbed my phone, texted Keith to let him know what happened, and he rolled by with a tow strap to help me drag it home. About 1AM, I was finally done for the night, sending poor Mike a dramatic, borderline psychotic email update, as our plan was for me to drive the car to work today and deliver it to him tonight after work.

Here she sits. Funny. She looks pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Best I can tell, the hydraulic tensioner - the only part I re-used when I did the timing belt - gave up the ghost and introduced enough slack to lose timing. I won't know for sure until I pull the #1 plug and check those marks tonight after work. (I'm also going to open up the ECU and double check the board, yank the intake snorkel and make sure the turbo is still good - irony - and probably re-examine my vac line connections.)

For a few brief minutes, this was the nicest Galant in the world. That's the Galant I'm delivering to Mike. Hopefully tomorrow. Maybe other people can spin the condition of their cars for sale, I can't do that. When I hand Mike the keys and tell him this Galant is 100%, I don't want any doubts. It's just how I roll.

Last edited:

Lukefraizer

So I have a slightly unrelated question for you. I have never seen your web page before and you galant looks amazing. My question is though what is the final weight of the car stripped and caged?

DR1665

You sure you've got the right guy? If my caged Galant looks amazing, I assure you it is purely because Kent Porter laid his hands on the car.

It's not run since the partial cage was installed. Still needs door bars, sill bars, harness bar, a few x-braces, and gussets. Gonna be a while before that car gets done. I've got to get this one done for Mike, a handful of repairs/maintenance done on the new truck, figure out why my father-in-law's Volvo no longer runs and fix it (ie: headgasket repair), try to get my HAM license and equipment before mid-May, plan a trip to the EU in June, a trip to Colorado in July, attend another rally in September, and get the house ready for a baby due November 1st.

Right now, I kinda want to run and hide. Thanks for the compliments, though. I'll be sure to get the car weighed once it's moving again.

DR1665

EDIT: Nevermind.

Last edited:

DR1665

After multiple conversations with John over the phone last night, we methodically checked and tested all kinds of stuff. The test process was one I'd not heard of before and very useful, so I'll share here.

Disconnect the CAS and connect the harness to a second CAS you have lying around. (I think it would be worth snagging one of these at the junkyard even if just for this purpose.) Yank the spark plugs, clip them back into the plug wires, and lie them on the valve cover. Now turn the car ON. Don't crank it. Just turn the key to the ON position.

If you've got music playing in the garage (I always do), this is a good time to turn it off. Go back to the engine bay, and give that second CAS a spin. You should see the spark plugs firing. It's a wasted spark, so even though the firing order is 4-1-2-3, you'll see the plugs fire in pairs - two at a time. You should also hear the MFI relay click on and off as it triggers the fuel pump to run. You should ALSO hear the fuel flow through the rail, though this might only be the sound of the regulator on the end of the rail sending most of it back to the tank.

As I did this, I heard the snap-snap of the spark plugs firing, then a soft, sort of "tschhhh" sound from the fuel pressure regulator. John says you should also be able to hear the injectors tick over if the resistor pack on the firewall is connected (turn the car OFF before connecting/disconnecting that pack). I did not hear the injectors, so I took the multi-meter to the individual injectors. All checked out at 2.7ohms. (In other words, they were all the same.)

At this point, I'd already confirmed the timing was good by yanking the #1 plug, inserting a 3/8 drive extension into the cylinder, and turning the crank pulley until it was at TDC. All the marks lined up. Definitely a relief, as I didn't want to do the timing over, but I was worried I might have lost the head gasket, so I got out the compression tester. L-R: 150-155-160-165. Not as consistent as I would like, but I did rebuild it in the car last time. Engine has maybe 5,000 miles on it.

Running out of options, I made a run to Autozone on John's advice to grab a can of starting fluid. If she fired up with that, it would point to the injectors. Sounded like a good plan. I buttoned things up to prepare and tried starting it once before I pulled the vac line and blasted the ether down its throat. I'll be damned, It started right up - with a nasty exhaust leak.

So I suspect the stranding Monday night was due to a loose electrical connection, likely CAS or one/more injectors. Removing the exhaust heat shield, the exhaust leak proved to be a couple loose turbo bolts. Gah. Easy fix. Put things back together, went for a test drive on a 6 mile figure-8, not a single issue. Pulled like a champ. Idled rock solid. Temp gauge just shy of 12 0'clock. I even changed the instrument cluster lighting over to green because it's pretty much a different car now.

At this point, I just need to get my crap out of the glovebox and center console, Windex/Rainx the windows, load up all the extra parts I'm including in the sale, grab the folder with all the receipts and title, and deliver it to Mike this afternoon.

Pretty excited.

desant78

great job and good luck today!

A warning for that test, make sure you pull ALL the plugs, and leave the car in nuetral. I was doing the same test, found a loose connection, and upon turning the second CAS the car jumped an inch forward...scarying me to death.

just a heads up!

I wish you owned my vr4 before I picked it up.....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings