The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new owner, new engine

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^ good advice on the possibility of a "ghost start"

I do this test with the car in nuetral, parking brake firmly on, and the spark plugs installed in the wires, laying on the valve cover and I only spin the cas enough to see what's what. (A revolution or two usually tells the tale)

In addition to a ghost start, excessive spinnage of the cas without the engine running can wash the cylinders and/or lead to external combustion.

Hence my advice to disconnect the injector resistor after verifying the injectors "click"

damn glad you got it running again, Brian!

You've gone above and beyond on this deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Last edited:

ktmrider

Quoting toybreaker:
damn glad you got it running again, Brian!

You've gone above and beyond on this deal.

Yeah this ain't your typical GVR4 deal/sale LOL, needless to say Brian is getting a steak dinner and "tip" for all his hard work and efforts.

And no the tip is not "In China" or "Don't Eat Yellow Snow".... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

DR1665

And, just like that, I'm back to only having one GVR4 again. And I'm JSB at that. Next thing you know, I'll be a card-carrying member of Chat Cru. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As I was loading up the assortment of extra goodies that went along with the car, I contemplated packing my toolbox and the laptop to do some logging.

Nah. Trial by fire, I say. If I need to bring tools, it's not done. Besides, I made a generous sacrifice to the Car Gods today - the Raider was totaled! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I hope 464 is twice as good to Mike as it was to me these last three years.

Looking forward to seeing how she progresses...

ktmrider

Yep, new chapter in both our lives. Ran perfect the whole way back to Chandler.

Manual seat belt items are arriving Monday, hope to install them by next Wed. Have an RS FMIC, Whiteline RSB, 510 yellows waiting in ABQ for future use with ( ideally ) 'Link and a 3g MAS. 18psi here I come!

ktmrider

Will continue to update this thread instead of creating another.

Car has 336 miles since Driggsy fired her up and about 280 under my ownership. Runs like a champ except at idle, sounds/feels like it has 280's ie lumpy.

Brian told me he had blocked off both the FIAV and ISC so on Sunday I cut out the ISC ports and checked the ISC ( three at 31 ohms, one at 47 ohms so at least no shorts ). Idled better and didn't drop much with the AC on however it was still a bit lopey. Went to boostedinaz's house tonite, pulled the TB again, cleaned/blew all the ports out, and installed a FIAV block-off plate he had laying around. While reinstalling the TB I noticed the CAS was rotated all the way to one end of the groove ( connector facing toward rear or firewall ). Set it to center and fired her up, idled very smooth and not longer rough. Grounded the diag port, idle changed speed so I'm feeling OK about the ISC. Set the BISS to about 850rpm, buttoned everything up, then drove back to the hotel. Checked idle at the hotel with AC on, didn't drop a bit.

Manual seat belt stuff arrived at the hotel on Monday, gonna try to at least install the DS items shortly.

Last edited:

DR1665

I do believe Mr. O drove the car home to ABQ today. Haven't heard a peep from him, so I assume no mews is good news.

I, on the other hand, spent three days trying to remove two bolts torqued to 11 on the Raider's starter nefore contracting food poisoning! On the plus side, got my vanity plates for it in the mail.

The best is yet to come.

ktmrider

Not quite, drive home to ABQ goes down today. Got my Pops on alert just in case however I'm extremely optimistic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Has 583 miles since taking delivery from B, running perfectly with no runs/drips/errors. Will update once I reach NM this afternoon.

DR1665

Excellent. Got the coolant leak resolved on the Raider last night. I'm back on the road again.

Looking forward to hearing she made it. I do NOT want to see flatbed pics for, like, ever, okay? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ktmrider

Success! No flat bed for now LOL unless I goober something up in the next few months... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Absolutely no hiccups, burps, farts, coughs, etc. Even got 26mpg averaging 75mph ( big tail wind from Holbrook to ABQ helped ). Rim road between Payson and Heber is/was always my favorite part, especially when ripping past a few Audi's and Acura's with their jaw on the floor.

Thanks again for a great transaction and vehicle, can't wait to start installing all the parts waiting impatiently in my garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

ktmrider

Went on travel immediately after getting 464 back to ABQ. Still have the pile of boxes/parts waiting patiently. Pic is below.

Managed to crack the VC before leaving PHX, oil all over the spark plug galley. Got another one from a local DSM buddy, all is good again short of the TEL silver color mismatched to B's nice black paintwork.

Took the car for an emission test today ( visual, tail pipe sniffer ) and she passed with room to spare. Idle HC was a bit high ( 97, local limit is 180 ) with 2500rpm HC was 15. Suspect the ISC and/or ECU coolant sensor, borrowed a logger to check things out this weekend.

Lots of plans still, time is my only enemy right now.

Last edited:

ktmrider

Got some rear speakers and another ISC on Friday. Installed both Sat, car "sounds" better and idles much smoother. The original ISC had "BAD" written on the end cap LOL, knew it had one coil at 48 ohms but nice to confirm...

I also tackled the manual seat belt conversion. Royal PITA however worth every second of time to get rid of the electric chokers.

Next will be the RS front mount ( after we hook Mommy up of course ).

ktmrider

Got the FMIC installed last night, actually "borrowed" the inlet pipe and hose from 86/2000 ( thanks Chicago1, made life waaaay easier ). Feels great, butt-dyno says spool is quicker/harder however it ain't too difficult to outperform the lousy stock IC.

I also hooked up the logger and reset my BISS due to the "new" ISC. Once it was dialed I checked the fuel trims again, my L value was near 105% vs 125% with the old ISC. Looks like it was the culprit for high/lean idle trims and elevated HC.

Gonna put a few miles on then tackle the B16g and tube manifold. Once they're sorted it's Game On for Link and related air/fuel items. Hope to be boosting to 18psi by July!

DR1665

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

ISC listed as "BAD," huh? Why do I have a feeling that was probably MY handwriting. Then again, I think I took the whole TB - sensors and all - off 195/2000 and swapped it over to 464/1000 to cure idle hunt years ago. Glad to hear it's only getting better, my friend!

ktmrider

Yep she's cooperating quite well!

BTW pics of the IC:

ktmrider

Open mouth, insert foot. MMC/DSM Gods punished me for my arrogance, ie using the term "perfect" on another forum.

Idle was still a bit funky at times plus did not like to start when warm/hot. In addition I would occasionally hear a loud hiss while running which corresponded to said idle funk. Decided to check the FPR cutout solenoid, only one hose to it?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As 464 is a CA model with all the emission stuff still intact I started tracing hoses. Found the EVAP solenoid with one hose too then poked further and found the missing hoses. ALL the hoses were hooked up wrong including you guessed it the FPR. Explains the FT-L values ( way rich at vac ) and could even explain my 26mpg on the drive home ( lean under boost ). Connected everything properly, idle is smooth and steady now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Re-reset the BISS again, could not go on much of a test run due to kiddo-watching duties. Will report back shortly minus the smug commentary... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW Driggsy you did point out the loose harness the night I took ownership. Guess I was a bit giddy and completely forgot to check them out later. Funny part is I was doing research to help Chicago1 - #86 owner fix his vac hose connections.

Last edited:

DR1665

When you say 464 is a Federal car, is that based on the VIN? I remember getting some kind of EVAP CEL the first year I owned it. The ECU was California, so I installed the requisite resistor to convert. I know I ham-fisted the vac lines. The only diagram I had was the 2" x 2" in the Chilton's manual, which was actually printed upside-down. LOL

Still, I'm sure it helped that the original, color-coded lines were still there. Lesson learned: run the longblock vac lines (under the intake manifold, at least) before dropping the engine back into the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ktmrider

Oops another mis-step, it's CA emission which was verified by the VIN during inspection. Like you already know it really only means that EGR Temp is monitored by the ECU via that resistor.

I've put about 100 miles since re-routing the hoses, so far so great. B I also had a rough time with hookups since the hood is not a GVR4 one and the sticker matches the NA vehicle. The picture posted for my buddy Chicago1 helped me over the hump especially since all the original color-coded hoses were intact.

In addition the ECU is able to maintain idle again with the A/C on at 800rpm target.

DR1665

Rock on. Come to think of it, I discovered it was a Calspec car when I was looking at a Carfax I had on the car shortly after buying it. It might still be in the pocket in the back of the driver's seat, actually! When I saw it was originally sold in California, that's when I made the ECU mod to absolve me of the problem. (EG: CEL just before emissions testing)

I'm happy to hear it's treating you well!

ktmrider

Installed some solid shifter bushings last night. The horizontal arm OEM bushing was nearly gone, vertical not too bad. Feels great, always a welcome mod.

Got a big surprise while test driving however! I'd accidentally pinched the cruise to TB cable under the aircan and when I went WOT she stayed WOT!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Pushed the clutch in and turned key off, oh BTW I found the hard way that the rev limiter does work. Limped her home, re-routed the cables, so far so good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned