The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just finished swapping turbos

ducttapeguy

So in my thread in the technical section I described the headaches and problems I was having with my old setup. An unknown Garrett turbo bolted to a Turbonetics manifold with a Tial WG on my stock motor. For some reason I had a nasty sputter while over 50% throttle. STM couldnt diagnose the issue without ripping the car apart so I decided to play around and look at different things. After a couple weeks of this nonsense and still no fixes for my problem, I decided to swap out turbo setups.

I just finished re installing my HKS kit that I had put up for sale. I had a cracked pipe welded up and drilled out 2 bolts that had broken off inside the housing. So now that the kit was good to go I started the swap. What a massive pain in the ass! The kit itself wasnt hard to put in, but every damn thing seemed to get in the way. My oil drain line for the other kit was too big so I had to remove that and get a new one made. While I was taking the old drain line off a buddy of mine decided to come out and help me. He turned the drain line upside down and dumped about a quart of oil on the ground. So now my workspace is super nasty. That was the biggest headache mechanically. But the thing that made me want to scream and give up was the super tight spaces. I have relatively large hands and they dont fit in tight spaces too well. I also dont have a lot of dexterity anymore seeing as how all I do anymore is squeeze a trigger. Top that off with oil slick tools and I wanted to explode. But I finally got the damn kit installed and the car didnt blow up when I started it, so thats a good thing. I was getting a bit of smoke after it warmed up but I figure thats just spilled oil burning off. We shall see. I have it parked in a new spot now so I can watch for any leaks.

Oh, I forgot to mention I did all this in my barracks parking lot with the front drivers side jacked up just enough to let my big ass get under the car. I will never ever do that again. Holy hell Im glad that nightmare is over with. In a few hours I am going out on a test drive. Wish me luck. Hopefully I can come back and report only good things and not that I fucked up and now my car is in pieces all over Fort Drum. Ill put up pics in a couple hours if yall are interested.

Tyler

citymunky

Navy Base cops catch a sh*t fit if you even think about working on a car while on base. Well good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned