The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where does one go to find a mint, high quality vr4 for sale?

Jesus_Negros

Quoting curtis:
Double that 15K and you can have mine all the parts and the other bastard VR4 outside I'm starting to whore out. Don't laugh bitches 5 transmissions, 3 transfer cases, 2 or 3 engines can't remember, 2 or 3 rear ends, a fuel system that can support over 1200 hp, 4 sets of wheels, big brakes times 3, cusco cage, all the poly bushings, big sway bars, 4 or 5 sets of 93 lights I need to get cleaned up, jdm this or that, a VGT turbo that weights 65 lbs and a clutch driven blower thats going to push it (uppppps no one knows about that), edm/aussy tail lights, JDM bumper, lights, bling and more damn gauges than you can put in a 5 gallon bucket..........sh*t I even have 2 sets of amg sides.....bullshit copies but they smooth damn they smooth. Da Da approved click me

Hell I actually might be able to finally walk in my shop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

add another 5K and you can have Paul's sh*t too and I'll build a MF copper pot and go into the processed corn bisinesseseses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Have any shells?

transparentdsm

Quoting etownpips:
The key to having a reliable DD galant vr4 is having it close to stock as possible.

thats not true, look at the memebers shwcase. there are a few cars making over 400whp and have been for years, some still have the stock block in the car. they can be driven anywhere and are far from stock. having a reliably, daily drivable vr4 comes down to be meticulous with the maintenance and never be cheap when buying replacement parts. you will spend way more money in the end trying to be cheap in the beginning.

EDIT: i forgot to add having a mechanic or a tech who knows what there doing with these cars and what not to do to these cars also plays a big roll in the reliability of these vehicles.

these cars are old and there a lot of fun, but you can't expect to buy one, jump in it and drive it around with no issues. they will always need maintenance and if you get lazy about it, forget to do things or put things off till later it will become unreliable and break down on you.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

Ya lack of maintenance and abuse is the leading cause of part outs and pos's

Wizardawd

Quoting transparentdsm:
Quoting etownpips:
The key to having a reliable DD galant vr4 is having it close to stock as possible.

thats not true, look at the memebers shwcase. there are a few cars making over 400whp and have been for years, some still have the stock block in the car. they can be driven anywhere and are far from stock. having a reliably, daily drivable vr4 comes down to be meticulous with the maintenance and never be cheap when buying replacement parts. you will spend way more money in the end trying to be cheap in the beginning.

EDIT: i forgot to add having a mechanic or a tech who knows what there doing with these cars and what not to do to these cars also plays a big roll in the reliability of these vehicles.

these cars are old and there a lot of fun, but you can't expect to buy one, jump in it and drive it around with no issues. they will always need maintenance and if you get lazy about it, forget to do things or put things off till later it will become unreliable and break down on you.

My cars have almost never broken down on me or left me stranded since I started with DSMs and GVRs since 1996. Oddly enough, mine are always running and reliable. I think I can attest it to the fact i'm checking fluids at regular intervals, identifying noises and diagnosing problems and fixing them before they cause a breakdown. So my cars are off the road for a day or 2 once in a great while, but it's because I am fixing them before it breaks....or upgrades!

That being said, my wife's DD just rolled 278k miles, and has only left us stranded once (I didn't check the timing belt when we bought it. He said new belts and I didn't verify. That's my fault.)

Wiz

BpuVR4

Quoting transparentdsm:
Quoting etownpips:

yea, i think ultimately it comes down to those guys having had the time/resources to have gone through the whole car and brought up to date anything that may go bad on a 20yr old machine en route to making that power. correct me if im wrong....either way, that's definitely the goal for me. wouldn't mind having a 20g vr4 i have peace of mind to drive from one coast to the other.

transparentdsm

IMHO my car isn't half as nice as most of the cars in the showcase and i have only owned this car for 1 year and 5 months and it has only been a running driving car for maybe 3 of those months, but i have been very meticulous with the maintenance and if something goes wrong i try to replace it with the best parts i can, like right now im mad at my self for having a grinding trans in my car and that im traveling and dont have the space or time to rebuild or the money to have my other trans rebuilt. i cant wait to get to cali and just park the car till i can fix up my other trans. most of the parts i have replaced i have done in those last 3 month, its a matter of people having a DSM mentality with these vehicles and saying f*** it and turning there radios up, instead of turning it down and figuring out what is that little noise.

Drew84

Mine is mostly stock from a drive ability stand point. Getting stuck in traffic with a stock clutch is way better than a racing one. Also I have the luxury of having a heavily modded DSM. I took the Galant to Lime Rock Park in CT last Saturday, it's about 150 miles from my house. I had the a/c going the whole time. It was 90 plus degrees out. I drove it normally, stayed out of boost to keep the temps down and it never faltered or even got close to running hot even in traffic. It's such a great road trip car and I love taking it to events like that because it's a head turner. People have to stop and figure out what it is and those who know give you the nod of approval.

EMX5636

Mine isn't very stock, but it can be driven like stock. My clutch (while not a stock or 2100lb plate) is very mild mannered in traffic. It makes the slight twin-disc chatter when the clutch is pressed it, but pedal feel is like stock, and it is far from an ON-OFF switch. It'll slip on hills as easy as a full face disc.

It really is, as most people have set, quality parts that makes a DSM or Galant reliable. I drove mine 4 days last week, in 90* heat, with the AC on, to work, to the store, to anywhere I want. It goes to the mountains in winter for boarding, the beach and mountains in the summer. Carries my bike around, now will carry my dirtbike and supermoto around on the trailer. It's an awesome street car that anyone with a day or two of getting used to, could drive anywhere.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned