The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What kind of fmic setup are you running?

RedTwo

I can't find my photos but I used to run a 1JZ Supra (Mark 3?) intercooler - flowed top to bottom with a 2" u bend off the turbo and around the radiator and then a pipe that went straight back to the throttle body. Throttle response was pretty crazy

boostedinaz

Quoting HiImBrian:
I don't doubt the ets is a great piece, I just don't think my goals require something that nice. I know a lot of the dsm guys run cheap ebay cores and have no problems with those. I'm a little surprised that the ebay cores aren't as popular on here.

This is one of the reasons I want another GVR4 and have passed on numerious 1Gs, here they seem to build a higher quality car. Not to say Ebay intercoolers are horrible but there are nicer parts. It also helps the few companies that cater to our car.

^ I agree with that, most GVR4 owners are older and have previous experince with DSMs and know what works and what does not work for the car. However, I don't belive your car becomes more high quality with a $900 intercooler kit or high dollar pieces. I have seen the ETS kit in person and I am very impressed with it, but I can get a good core from ebay and weld my owns pipes for $325 and it looks just as good, fits just as snug, and flows just the same if not more. There is my problem, if that is what you call a problem? I suppose if I was unable to do the work myself I would be more tempted to get an ETS kit or $700 exhasut setup etc...

raptorWagon

I have the ETS kit with a anodized black core and matching black piping, think I paid around $900, that was of course a few years ago when they first started the anodized cores. I paid a friend a case of High Life to cut the support with a torch.

With my JDM bumper on you can't see the intercooler unless your right up on it which is exactly what I wanted, also you don't need to worry about cutting with the JDM bumper since you rid the car of that heavy support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quoting HiImBrian:
I don't doubt the ets is a great piece, I just don't think my goals require something that nice. I know a lot of the dsm guys run cheap ebay cores and have no problems with those. I'm a little surprised that the ebay cores aren't as popular on here.

If a ets kit is too rich for your blood you can always pick up an evo 8-9 fmic and have someone local fab you some pipes. Or you can have someone fab you pipes for a neon srt4 fmic.

Quoting Red_Bird:
^ I agree with that, most GVR4 owners are older and have previous experince with DSMs and know what works and what does not work for the car. However, I don't belive your car becomes more high quality with a $900 intercooler kit or high dollar pieces. I have seen the ETS kit in person and I am very impressed with it, but I can get a good core from ebay and weld my owns pipes for $325 and it looks just as good, fits just as snug, and flows just the same if not more. There is my problem, if that is what you call a problem? I suppose if I was unable to do the work myself I would be more tempted to get an ETS kit or $700 exhasut setup etc...

My feelings exactly! I've got access to a nice tig welder and I think it'd be sorta fun to fab up my own kit.

boostin4door

I really like the ETS kit, but i already had a custom kit fabbed up w/a CXRacing core. If your going to go w/a "ebay"fmic. CXRacing cores are the best cores sold on Ebay IMO.

click

what I really like about this core is it's 11"[not typical 12"] tall which is unique and it clears the hood support bracket w/o any cutting. its solid,good welds, thick/durable end tanks.

also...CXRacing has some of the best IC univ.pipe kits out.Good t-bolts & quality couplers.;

click

click

rollinshot.jpg

Last edited:

vtecds1

I`m running a APEXi Skyline core and custom piping. Looks nice, but there is alot of piping.

Quoting vtecds1:
I`m running a APEXi Skyline core and custom piping. Looks nice, but there is alot of piping.

Pshhh cheap bastard... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting boostin4door:
I really like the ETS kit, but i already had a custom kit fabbed up w/a CXRacing core. If your going to go w/a "ebay"fmic. CXRacing cores are the best cores sold on Ebay IMO.

click

what I really like about this core is it's 11"[not typical 12"] tall which is unique and it clears the hood support bracket w/o any cutting. its solid,good welds, thick/durable end tanks.

also...CXRacing has some of the best IC univ.pipe kits out.Good t-bolts & quality couplers.;

click

click

Awesome! This is what I was looking for thanks. Only thing I notice, is the two links for piping have different bends. I was thinking I'd want a couple straights, a couple 90's, a couple 45s and a U turn for good measure. Maybe I'll make something up on proe just for kicks and giggles.

edit: I was thinking something similar to a kit like this just because the core is a smaller 22x7x2.25. I don't plan to ever make more than 300awhp and would rather not have a large pressure drop from a larger core. What are your thoughts on that?

Brian, take note of this thread and the pic of the cut front bumper support:

click

Its a good idea to leave a portion at the top if you can so that the urethane doesn't sag over time. I think that might be welded on though if you look at the other pic in that thread.

Brunoboy

My car hasthe whole center missing lol, bough the car that way but I do notice a slight sag in the center.

Thanks for the heads up guys! I would have probably hacked off as much as possible.

So I've been doing a little reading and I'm curious if anybody has tried running an evo fmic upside down? Since 14bs and 16gs require J pipes which come up off the turbo, it seems like if the evo fmic were flipped so that the endtanks pointed upwards that it would make routing the ic piping easier/better.

p.s. I'm not sure if I've got this search thing down. I tried searching "+evo +fmic -re" and got nothing. I then searched "+evo fmic -re" and got nothing about fmics.

SleepinGVR4

I don't know if this will help but this is what I did. I was afraid of cutting to much of the bumper support away so I used the metal that I cut away to reinforce the bumper, on the top and sides.

You can see on the sides where the ends were boxed off, and the top was reinforced inside the lip which you really can't see. Needless to say its definitely more rigid. I then Por-15'd the whole thing which is the only reason it looks as good as it does.

Brunoboy

Quoting HiImBrian:
So I've been doing a little reading and I'm curious if anybody has tried running an evo fmic upside down? Since 14bs and 16gs require J pipes which come up off the turbo, it seems like if the evo fmic were flipped so that the endtanks pointed upwards that it would make routing the ic piping easier/better.

p.s. I'm not sure if I've got this search thing down. I tried searching "+evo +fmic -re" and got nothing. I then searched "+evo fmic -re" and got nothing about fmics.

The jonvr4 fmic kit uses the Evo FMIC upside down

Thanks guys! Those pics are really helpful, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one thinking about flipping an evo fmic. I didn't realize that evo fmics were going for the $100 range. I feel like you can get a decent fmic off ebay for that price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned