The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What kind of oil are you running?

GSX_TC

Well go and do your research on the oils people listed here and them make a decision based on a comparison of them that your comfortable with

Adorsey

Ran Moble 1 10w-30 for a long time with no complaints.

Poured about 3 1/2 qts of Rotella 15w40 in my brand new engine last night around midnight. Cant wait to start this betty an get her going.

*the lawn mower needed some erl itself, Rotella went in the their too lol

GSX_TC

how much would 4 quarts of that Rotella 1540 cost?

Brunoboy

Quoting broxma:
Valvoline VR-1 20w-50.

Wanted to throw that out there to screw up the standings thus far.

/brox

this ^, or any other 20W50 i can afford lol.
-Shane

Street Surgeon

Right Now: Brad Penn 30w break-in oil

Soon: Brad Penn 20w50

rdomeck

Valvoline VR-1 in everything I own....Mini Van, both work trucks, VR4, Porsche, really old Jeep, Lawn mower, Gator......The list goes on. I do not trust Mobil one at all. I used to and it cost me three engines in three different cars...The rings were the first to go in 2 of them and the lifters and cams in the third. Upon tear down the bearings were toast in all of them. It took some investigating to be convinced, but I wouldn't run it in my go-kart.

.....and VR1 is the closest in name to the VR4!!! Whats not to love?

mikus

i think I last remember billings saying it. In order of importance...
- oil is better than no oil,
- clean oil is better than dirty oil,
- last, type of oil

I've never had reason to really, truly think one quality oil was SO much different than the other for my driving needs, I mind the first two points and have been fine. You guys sound super smart though, eh.

Jesh

Mobile 1 full synthetic 10w-30 in the summer, and 5w-30 during the winter when the temps get
down to -20F. It helps keep the oil pressure down.

4thStroke

Anyone else notice how dirty it gets under the valve cover with the Brad Penn? I keep up on my oil changes and recently had my cover off, it looked awful under there.

speedyd718

just wanted to post that i just put a 50/50 mix of mobil 1 0w40 & 5w50 into #841 with a napa platinum filter.

bmxr152

Shell rotella T6 5w-40. Runs like a champ, and the oil stays alot cleaner between changes than running mobil 1.

GSX_TC

Rotella T, 15/40 Works great for me =)

Redwood

kinda glad i saw this posting to see what all u guys run.. gives me a lot of food for thought.. now to get my car ready for this cold a snow winter in michigan...

Right now I'm using valvoline vr1 20/50 because I read that they haven't reduced the amount of zddp in it, among other things that are important for lubrication, like companies such as mobil1 and royal purple have. I am a firm believer that both mobil1 and royal purple are now only getting by on the name they built for themselves, but I'm no expert on oil.

If I didn't run the vr1 oil I'd run the shell rotella 5/40 or bradpenn. Many people swear by amsoil too.

A good forum to read about oil is:

Bob is the oil guy. Many guys have posted their used oil analysis and you can seed the results from various oils. Tons of oil info on that forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

click

Check the categories along the right under additional reading.

Here is the forum link:

click

Here is a guy with an Audi using rotella t6 who had a uoa (used oil analysis) done at blackstone laboratories.

click

Here is a guy on the evo forum who had blackstone lab analyze his oil (rotella t6).

click

Another rotella t6 uoa

click

gtluke

for what it's worth. For most of the life of my car I ran the cheapest shittiest oils I could find, with the cheapest shittiest oil filters. Generally it was Wolf brand oil, 5-30 and Group 7 oil filters.
I bought the motor with 60k on it, and it now as 250k on it.
But now I have a real job so I run 10-40 Mobil 1 and Wix filters

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned