The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

vibrating

^^ Maybee that's the reason he "used" to be a mechanic there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

AnotherNewb

Not that you were paying any attention genius #2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif but both your original motor and your replacement motor both had the front BS belts broken /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif And your original motor the balance shaft was seized.

Not trying to half ass a BSE but 4g motors running only the rear balance shaft is more common than you think. Especially in high mileage motors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barnes

Quoting 91vr4394:
A friend of mine that use to be a mechanic at SBR told me it is fine..He has his talon like that and it's been like that for 3years now..He also said he does it to all his cars unless he has the motor out..

Fine. You're friend is doing something stupid too and is lazy to boot. I'm glad his car is fine. Good for him. Next time I'm in town I'll give both you and him a f***ing cookie. I'm not about to sit here an suggest someone half ass a mod.

Barnes

Then stop advocating half-assed mods.

cspetros

Everyone just cool your jets. I mentioned vibrations because when my b-shaft belt broke (it didn't get tangled into the timing belt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif, but it was close) my engine vibrated A LOT around the 2500-3000 RPM range. If you read over the theory on how the balance shafts work, you'll see why vibrations occur when only one of the two is spinning. In a system where 2 shafts are used, both are required to be rotating, in time, to cancel out the natural engine vibrations. If only one is active, that introduces a whole new set of vibrations to deal with.

I'm no expert on this... but ultimately, it amounts to a VERY uncomfortable ride (your fingers get sort of numb from the vibrations). I'm not sure about engine damage (other than it being shaken to death).

91vr4394,
If your goin to do it, then do it right the first time. +1 on half assing sh*t. Either keep it, or do away with it the proper way, don't be so ghetto with these cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif If you want a whoo ride, get a DSM.
Another thing that's not real good to do if you want help from the long time vets,(besides sentence structure), is don't be calling them dickheads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
That type of sh*t is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif sometimes.

AnotherNewb

Its a lot like turning a floor buffer on and letting it go wild. Will someone get hurt, maybe not. But do you really want to take that chance? The engineers that designed our motors were really smart Asian guys that knew lots of math. As said in a previous post, the dual balance shafts were designed to cancel engine vibrations and THEMSELVES out. Eliminating one and not the other is going to MAGNIFY the engine vibrations. Ever wonder why the older Harley Davidson's with solid motor mounts always have loose bolts? You MAY be able to get away without running the front balance shaft because you can't afford the down time, but in the long run you are going to hate yourself for it. Either fix your car right, or get used to walking.

Barnes

Quoting Dbossman:
91vr4394,
Another thing that's not real good to do if you want help from the long time vets,(besides sentence structure), is don't be calling them dickheads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well. I was being a ********. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just that sometimes I get frustrated going over the same topics over and over again and having to reinforce important points makes my temper short. Which is really my own fault, but I think many can understand where I'm coming from.

tintoy

ok guys. either I run my motor with the small belt on or do the BS removal. basically i'l check if is properly install to see problem. many thanks guys. i guess if the belt is good there are many things to be check. can you give me something to start with after ti check the belt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AnotherNewb

Quoting BarnesMobile:
Your rear balance shaft is probably not in phase. You can have the rear balance shaft 180 degrees off while the timing mark still line up.

What he said makes sense. Be sure you get the rear balance shaft lined up right.

91vr4394

I'm not trying to tell anybody how to work on their vehicles but honestly I don't have much vibrations at all..I got prothane mounts so that will cause some..But my steering wheel dont even shake going down the road.

tintoy

thanks guys. when i some other probs with my car i'l just give you guys a buzz. thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey man I have that problem Im trying to figure out what it is
the engine chokes an the rpm is low

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned