The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transmission issue then brake fluid

veganbutcher

UPDATE

The shop got back to me today and notified me that they are unable to find replacement parts for the vehicle, the brake line indeed blew on the rear passenger side but there is more that needs to be replaced in the brake system.

All pads and rotors need replacing as well as all inner and outer brake hoses.

An odd part as well, the brake resevour cap is completely bloated and needs to be replaced.

Where might I be able to find OEM or comparable parts?

Last edited:

rdomeck

Sounds like you don't have any brake pressure......These problems are completely unrelated. Different systems doing different things!

Why chance driving your car and hurting someone or yourself? A tow bill would be less than a $100. Ver cheap insurance in my book.

veganbutcher

Just handled it, AAA gave a tow to the shop. I wouldn't want a bigger problem on my hands.

Racah15

The pop you heard is more than likely your brake line that popped. Remember the car is old and rubber pieces wear. Check the rubber section of your brake line (in the fender well area, connected to the strut assembly) for a broken/torn line. Problems are definitely unrelated and you have a brake master and a clutch master, two different hydrolic systems.

But just reading your final post, it seems your car is already at a shop. Have them check your brake lines for you if you can. Definitely DO NOT drive it like that at all. You will only have e-brake after a while.

raptorWagon

Quoting veganbutcher:
UPDATE

The shop got back to me today and notified me that they are unable to find replacement parts for the vehicle, the brake line indeed blew on the rear passenger side but there is more that needs to be replaced in the brake system.

All pads and rotors need replacing as well as all inner and outer brake hoses.

An odd part as well, the brake resevour cap is completely bloated and needs to be replaced.

Where might I be able to find OEM or comparable parts?

Lol they weren't trying very hard to find parts, if they said they couldn't find any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

Pads
Pads via Rockauto

Rotors - FWD fronts will not work for you, you need the AWD/VR-4 or if it says so 10.86" discs.
Rotors

OE spec Brake hose - Don't DSMs use same size hose? so maybe now would be a good time to upgrade to Braided lines anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Brake Hose

Probably take a 2 weeks or so to come in but
Brake Fluid Resevoir assembly - MitsubishiParts.net

If the cap is warped, chances are the assembly is warped as well, however if you just want the cap and diaphragm
Resevoir Cap

veganbutcher

Thank you raptor, I have been lost trying to find the rotors but you were able to help out a ton. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

veganbutcher

Alright here it is, I've put my shopping cart together and I want to make sure everythings kosher before I go ahead and get it. Are there any parts that I could do better on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

click

Just click cart once the page opens and it should all be there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned