The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

brake fluid leak between booster and brake master

seizer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About a week ago my check brake light came on so i added some fluid because it was low and called it a day and brakes were fine and there was no more light. So the next morning i start the car for work light comes back on this time there is fluid under the car that to the naked eye appears to be leaking where the brake booster and brake master meet. I have left the car for about a week sitting. I have since topped the fluid off and tried pumping the brakes to see if i can see where the fliud is coming from and results are the same but this time my brake pedal is stiff. I have a repair manual for the car and understand how to disassemble the brake booster and brake master cylinder and put it back together. My question is why is there fluid leaking from that area and what most likely will need replaced, or what process should i take to get a better idea of what is going on?

My guess is that the master cylinder is bad... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance!

Last edited:

boostedinaz

I'm going to say it's leaking. I had the same thing happen to my clutch master in my old Talon and it looked the same.

One thing to make look at just in case is the seal/plastic fitting and that rubber line. If they are cracked they could make the leak ppear to be the master. My bet it still on the master though.

Terry Posten

Easy fix and forces you to flush the brake fluid.

Should take about 2 hours to do properly taking your time.

Buy high quality full synthetic brake fluid and she will be good to go for a few more years.

The black paint on the brake booster will probably be eaten off. Clean it very well and respray to keep rust away before you re-seat the new master cylinder.

If you remove the large rubber vac line to the booster, be careful. It is not just a rubber hose. It has a valve inside that MUST be installed the same way as you took it off. Otherwise your brakes will feel crappy and it will be very dangerous. If it is cracking, get a new one from www.JNZtuning.com. They are not that expensive.

seizer

Sounds like a straight forward job! Thanks for the pointers guys. I will try to tackle this task after the holiday and post back if I have any problems.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned