The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transfer case recall?

Sorry if this question has already been answered, I searched and could not find a clear answer...

Does the GVR4 have the same brass plug in the t-case yolk that lead to the t-case recall performed on DSM's? Being that the GVR4 is made in Japan, and not a DSM I wasn't sure.

I've been in the process of restoring a GVR4 to function as a DD, it has been bouncing around from owner to owner for years, but hasn't been driven. I did a pretty solid engine overhaul, and the car drives like a dream now, but today I was under the hood and noticed that the top of the the subframe was wet right above the t-case, so I looked underneath and the t-case has fluid dripping off the bottom of it. It doesn't have the pungent smell that gear oil has, more like regular motor oil, but other than the pan or the headgasket, the only thing I can think of is the output shaft seal in the tranny, t-case input seal, t-case output seal, and the halfshaft seal. Or the driveshaft yolk plug if that part was recalled as with the DSM's. I doubt it's the headgasket because the back of the block looks dry, and the mess developed too quickly for me to think it's the oilpan.

fuel

yeah most likely the transfer case output shaft seal or the plug in the UJ. Unsure if the recall will cover it, I wasn't even aware there was a recall for them full stop.

You could try pulling the driveshaft out of the transfer case, cleaning all the crap out from inside of the spline (use HEAPS of brake cleaner), and then apply like 1/4" of RTV silicone over the brass plug and carefully working it into the bottom of the splines for a good seal. This often works just fine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned