The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

t case

gtproto

My car has a hard time going into first and grinds second. Looking at getting my transmission rebuilt and noticed the number read KW5M332NPZS and saw it came out of a 90 dsm. Whats the difference between that and a GVR4? and is that t case a 22 spline?

jnava

Staff member
I know my 91 came with a 22 spline tcase. I changed the output shaft and could now source 23 spline tcases which are abundant in comparison to the 22.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The 90 trans is probably 22 spline, as it appears the 91 MY was mixed. My 91 VR4 had a 22 originally (aluminum body t/c). I have a 23 in it now, but kept the 22 with matching output shaft.

If you simply have that trans rebuilt you should be able to use the same matching components.

Wizardawd

Many shafts have been swapped out over the years so even though it is a 90, someone before you may have swapped so you really just need to count the splines. ECUs are the same way. So many have been swapped and rebuilt, etc that you can't go by VIN/MY, etc anymore. Best to just get in there and check.

Wiz

EMX5636

Just an FYI, if the transmission still has the 90 shift linkages on the trans, that could explain your hard to shift issue. I'm now running a 90 bellhousing for shorter shifter throws, but you must make shift stops on the shifter, and adjust the cables a bit to work with the 91+ shifter and 90 shift arms on the trans.

CutlassJim

The bellhousing has nothing to do with it. It's the angle of the cable mount and the arms on the trans itself.

EMX5636

True, but it's very hard to remove the forward/back arm without a press to get the pin out. Almost every bellhousing I've ever seen has the original arms. (the cable bracket and left to right arm is easily swapped though)

Last edited:

gtproto

Yea i read about the bracket and needing one. I bought the car this way and im not sure the guy i bought it from knew what he was doing. Is there a way to know if i have it or not how could you tell the difference?

Lancer99

Was this the car for sale in Mt. Prospect a couple weeks ago? Is the car green?

EMX5636

Quoting gtproto:
Yea i read about the bracket and needing one. I bought the car this way and im not sure the guy i bought it from knew what he was doing. Is there a way to know if i have it or not how could you tell the difference?

click

click

click

gtproto

Quoting Lancer99:
Was this the car for sale in Mt. Prospect a couple weeks ago? Is the car green?

No, i bought the car almost 2 years ago now, its white. I saw you driving that one day on my way to Boostin open house, you gave me a thumbs up.

gtproto

Quoting EMX5636:
Quoting gtproto:

click

click

click

This was perfect thanks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts