The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Those of you running an SMIM...

manikbastrd

Those of you running SMIM...specifically JMF...

How do you have your coil pack mounted. Also, what else was necessary to move/change for the use of the SMIM? I am not doing it tomorrow or anything, but I will be mounting a 2g head with FP exhaust manifold and JMF intake manifold. Just curious what I need to watch out for. Thanks in advance!!!!

PS Pics are of course very very appreciated.

-Manik

Last edited:

pmp285

there is a mounting bracket offered by fp for the coilpack... or you can just make one.... it bolts under the intake manifold

brisvr4

I have the race manifold and have my alternator on the back of the block. I had to modify the JMF coil bracket slightly to make it all fit nicely under there.

mitsuturbo

Quoting pmp285:
there is a mounting bracket offered by fp for the coilpack... or you can just make one.... it bolts under the intake manifold

I can't seem to find any coil bracket on the FP website. Do you have any more information about this part?

bmxr152

Basically do whatever fits. Heres mine. Modified the old bracket and welded a plate on the back and bolted it to the firewall

manikbastrd

Quoting transparentdsm:
ok so i removed the bolt on my strut tower closest to the manifold and bent the stock bracket to hold it there.

I had a similar setup on 724 before I parted it out. Glad I was not alone in thinking of this method

mitsuturbo

Quoting JamesFoster:
It's made by JMF. Here ya go.
click

I already knew about the JMF one. I was trying to find the FP one that was mentioned... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

EMX5636

Mine is mounted to the drivers side engine mount bolt, but I modified the bracket a tiny bit. I couldn't run the JMF bracket because I still have A/C.

JNR

^^^Do you run a timing cover? If not, may want to think about a method to secure the spark plug wire from rubbing against the belt. May just be the angle of the picture though, but it looks close and weird things happen when the engine is running and you're driving.

pot

Staff member
Quoting EMX5636:
Mine is mounted to the drivers side engine mount bolt, but I modified the bracket a tiny bit. I couldn't run the JMF bracket because I still have A/C.

The JMF bracket works with and without those running A/C. If anything, the bracket needs to be ever so slightly bent/pushed downward to clear the plenum.

turbowop

Are you absolutely sure you can use the JMF bracket and retain AC? I would have bought one years ago but was told it wouldn't work. I ended up having to have Andre fab me up a bracket that fits the coil pack under my SMIM and then had to custom make ignition wires that were a little longer and I dread the day I have to make new ones to replace the current set. I would love to use a bolt-on bracket that allows me to use stock fitment wires.

EMX5636

I do run an upper timing cover. That was just to get a pic of the cam gears that someone wanted.

Unless they changed something, the JMF coil pack bracket bolts to the block with the same holes as the A/C compressor bracket. I have one in my garage, but I'm pretty sure I tried using it, and it was no bueno. link

pot

Staff member
Quoting turbowop:
Are you absolutely sure you can use the JMF bracket and retain AC? I would have bought one years ago but was told it wouldn't work. I ended up having to have Andre fab me up a bracket that fits the coil pack under my SMIM and then had to custom make ignition wires that were a little longer and I dread the day I have to make new ones to replace the current set. I would love to use a bolt-on bracket that allows me to use stock fitment wires.

Mark I'm absolutely sure because I have a JMF bracket on my motor with an AMS VSR SMIM. *All while still maintaining the factory original A/C. If I'm not mistaken, their plenum is larger in comparison to the other SMIM's out there. So if it fits on mine it should fit on the others.

Below are two poor quality images of the bracket with my manifold.

Of note, the only thing I had to do was slightly bend the portion of the bracket that the coil rests on. Otherwise I'm firmly positive this bracket works just fine w/ factory A/C. I even furnished a review at the JMF website on how not only was the bracket top notch but allowed for A/C.

EMX5636

Good to know Pot. Maybe I just didn't wanna cram it back there in case I had to get to it.

mitsuturbo

Quoting transparentdsm:
ok so i removed the bolt on my strut tower closest to the manifold and bent the stock bracket to hold it there.

Why did you do this? Clearly you have a stock manifold you could've put the coil pack back into.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned