The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

These Cars Are Unreliable?

deez

I bought mine 6 or 7 years ago in the L.A. area and drove it up to Chico (8 hours) in the middle of the night, no worries. I continue to drive it to the coast (4 hours) or wherever with no hesitation. Its a great car, love it, and have no complaints. As to reliablity, as these cars approach the 20 year mark, each car will be different depending on their history.

My Gvr4 is completely stock, with 99,000 miles on it. I wouldnt hesitate to start it up and drive it to Cali from PA
When you get into upgrading and replacing stock parts is when i noticed people starting to have problems Nick 747/2000

AGREED! Im new to the VR4 and even i know that the cars reliability only depends on the owners and the amount of time they are willing to spend on their car

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting newVR4ownerPA:
My Gvr4 is completely stock, with 99,000 miles on it. I wouldnt hesitate to start it up and drive it to Cali from PA
When you get into upgrading and replacing stock parts is when i noticed people starting to have problems Nick 747/2000

Quoting newVR4ownerPA:
AGREED! Im new to the VR4 and even i know that the cars reliability only depends on the owners and the amount of time they are willing to spend on their car

Glad to see that you agree with yourself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

John

Polish

I was sitting there looking at that thinking "Did he really just reply to himself?"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

atc250r

Staff member
Someone is about to get a new title. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

turbowop

Quoting atc250r:
Quoting newVR4ownerPA:

Quoting newVR4ownerPA:

Glad to see that you agree with yourself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

John

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3deek3.gif

steve

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif

Wizardawd

I'll put it this way, I've daily driven and raced nothing but DSMs for almost 15 years now and.....I have NEVER been stranded on the side of the road.

My current DD is a 92 AWD 5 spd w/177k I found sitting in some field in the middle of SD for 5 years due to a frustrated owner that gave up after a shop failed at a TB change. A new head and new tires and I drove it home and has been running strong and very good mileage (29-34) for 2 years now. And recently just placed 2nd in a local auto-x with the only mod being unbolted exhaust bested by a SC C4 vette with lots of mods by less than a second.

My wife's Talon is a 97 Auto with all options at 176k we found just traded in at a dealer for $2900. Over 2 years and nothing wrong yet. Tired, yes, but still running everyday.

I've had 5 others that I paid next to nothing for that lasted years b4 I traded them for another.

The local junkyard has 1 DSM in it, A NT that was wrecked, but there are at least 8 Hondas there that weren't wrecked.

Wiz

atc250r

Staff member
I think a lot of you missed the question mark in the title. My point was that after sitting for a year, I charged the battery and fired the old dog right up.

CarRacer

No, we get it. You hate these cars. Why don't you just hurry up and crush it so you can sell out and buy a Hyundai like your brother.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

atc250r

Staff member
I don't need a Hyundai, I've already got a POS, made in Korea, rebadged Daewoo, Suzuki. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Wizardawd

Hate to tell ya, the Daewoo's were rebadged Vauxhalls actually. And I was a Daewoo tech for the whopping 3 years they were in business and they were actually good cars. Change timing belt b4 60k that's about it. Only had 2 recalls, a cam sensor and a bracket for the passenger airbag. But, like I said they were already running around Europe b4 Daewoo put their god awful bodies on them.

Wiz

atc250r

Staff member
Yes, they have GM engines/trannies and the Chevy that Top Gear has been using for its "reasonably priced car" deal is actually the exact same car as the USDM Suzuki Forenza. The reason I called it a POS was all the stupid little things that annoyances but not major catastrophes. The steady breeze that I get on my leg from somewhere under the dash is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The squeaks and creaks in the front and rear suspension when its cold out are annoying. The fact that the passenger side airbag light doesn't always go out when an adult gets in the car after its been started unless I cycle the key is ridiculous. The car was cheap to begin with, and I must have liked it a little bit because I bought it at the end of our lease to commute with. See its not all bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

Quoting 4thStroke:
Alright. These cars suck. I was left stranded. Again. f*** my life.

You wanker. Give me a call next time that happens. If im at home I can grab tools. If im at Travs I can grab tools. Always willing to help out when I can

turbowop

Quoting 4thStroke:
Alright. These cars suck. I was left stranded. Again. f*** my life.

We've seen the way you drive after you posted that video of you leaving the Subaru cruise. You can't tell me these cars suck after doing that. How about you just leave it at "daily driving 500+ whp cars sucks"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts