The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TH3 Lazy arse Australian / New Zealand Picture build thread

RedTwo

Dang, I've been too laid back to get any new photos or post any old photos... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

RedTwo

Big fish, little fish, cardboard box!
Or Open, Viscous and Mechanical (aka plate or clutch type) LSDs. Notice the lack of the speedo gear, for the 4WS, on the mechanical LSD.

Looking at the splines of the Viscous LSD, not immediately clear but the second set of teeth has a smaller diameter which corresponds to the longer axle spline on an LSD axle.

Up the guts of a mechanical LSD, notice the 'washer' that interferes with the longer viscous LSD axle.

Brake master cylinder from a GTO/3000GT - has the same 17/16" piston as a Brembo equiped Evo, as opposed to the 1" on the VR4. You could run the brake booster too but it's the same 8"+9" as that equiped to VR4s with twin piston front brakes - so it's only good for '87 cars (which you guys don't get!)

H05TYL

Is that a 3 or 4 bolt mech lsd you've got there? I've got a pair of 3 bolt ones but haven't managed to track down a 4 bolt one for a reasonable price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also all (or at least most) pre-facelift vr4's have the smaller discs and single pot calipers.

H05TYL

Just found this picture of my silver vr4 when the previous owner had just acquired it (it was a trade in at his work) the guy, who's a mate of mine, is the one who restored 'fuel's evo0 to it's pristine state.

13-12-07_1457.jpg

a2vr4

Quote:

Big fish, little fish, cardboard box!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
What is all that about? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
~Brian A. Moreno

Last edited:

RedTwo

Sorry, yep it's a 4 bolt mechanical. The prices drop substantially once you get past the 'Evo 3 RS' miss-information that goes on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Big fish, little fish, cardboard box comes from Mikey Havock's tv show in the mid '90s I believe, and may even have dance moves associated with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fuel

do the 3 bolt and 4 bolt mechanical LSDs differ?

also what do you mean by the evo3 RS mis-information?

I was under the impression that VR-4 mechanical LSD, Evo1 RS LSD, and Evo2-3 LSDs were each different.

H05TYL

the 4 bolt diffs use bigger axles (specifically the stub shaft that enters the diff) the inner CV is the same as evo ones.

vr4 4 bolt and evo1 rs rear diffs are the same.

The above, plus the 3 bolt type are 1 way.

All evo 2 and 3's have 1.5 way rear lsd's.

RedTwo

That's pretty much bang on with the info there.
The miss information relates to people thinking/claiming only the Evo 3 RS has this, that and the other thing fitted to it, and thus charging higher prices for it.

mrnvit

speaking of mech lsd's i got one sold as a evo 3 one for $55nzd this morning.
it has the "washer" so its a mech, just weather its a e1 rs or e2 or 3 one is yet to be confirmed.

VR42LT

Little update. Its pretty much the standand way of doing a fuel system but here you go.

044 pumps, speed flow fittings and a 2litre surge tank.

RedTwo

So are you making a red car or a white car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4 Bolt open, long viscous LSD, open, short viscous LSD axle heads:

mechanical LSD inside the diff - the 'washer' is about 78.4 mm from the outside of each oil seal, the open axle splines are around 76mm long. Based on the previous photo, you can see how only the open and (maybe) the 'short' viscous axle can fit a mechanical diff.

40mm frost plug to block 4WS pump opening

bazeng

Since I've got a few minutes spare,

I'll quickly post up some pics!!

I've got a VR4 Galant (Aussie Spec)
And my brother has an AMG Galant which is being converted to a turbo 2.3L. Everything on the AMG is removable. No hacking of the chassis / loom etc whatsoever.

I have all the bits to make it stock again if I ever wanted to.

The VR4 on the other hand has gone to the dark side.

Enjoy the pics:

AMG AND VR4 (got new plates for the AMG, guess what is it?!?!?!)

VR4 OLD SETUP (2.3L Stroker with W2A - 330kw's on pump fuel - 25psi)

VR4 NEW SETUP (2.4L with A2A and Dry Ice to Air (not used yet) - 350kw's on pump fuel (run in tune) - 25psi) - still need to fab/install oil catch can - oil cooler - pwr steering cooler etc

VR4 Interior

VR4 exterior pics (DRAG SPEC - high suspension setting, more weight towards the front)

Some fabrication work

Brake setup look familiar guys?!?!
Hotbits DT2

The brains, AUTRONIC SM4. Best computer EVER!!!

AMG - STILL IN THE BUILD!!! Should be ready shortly!!!

Home made PLUGIN MOTEC adaptor (MOTEC M4 - basic but good enough for the AMG)

The ORIGINAL AMG intake manifold (larger plenum than the single runner US/AU spec manifold, but with the benifit of 2 runners with butterflies!!

Hotbits DT2 setup with Camaro calipers

FWD rear end... hmmmmmmmmm
The suspension setup took a while to sort out

Some AMG Fabrication pics
Engine is a 2.3L stroker - mild head work - mild cams (264 type) - my old turbo setup.
Aiming for about 250kw's at the front wheels (it's only a cruiser)

Running a Civic radiator and a bunch of custom parts.
Hopefully it'll work okay!

I am hoping to have them fully complete this year so I can run them down the 1/4 and try some track work (circuit).

I'd have to say, I recieved ALOT of support (with parts and advice) from you guys! I'll have to compile a list of the guys that specifically helped me out with my builds when I finish these 2 cars. This board has always been very helpfull and I do owe alot to you guys.

Thanks for looking!

------hmmmmmmmm that took longer than expected......off to dinner!

Last edited:

VR42LT

Baz who did your dump pipe on the Aus spec? Looks awesome mate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JNR

Yeah, I can appreciate the attention to detail; that's great and the way all stuff should be done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Some nice looking rides "down there", although no matter how hard I try and how many times I see it, I can never get used to the steering wheel on the wrong side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ozyvr4

Baz both cars are so sweet. Good work & good luck getting them finished soon.

A couple more pics. I have put my 15" back on for a while.

Last edited:

fuel

nice wheels! they would look so much nicer in a dark gold or bronze

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned