The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock spring options

T3mp0r

I was wondering if I had any other spring options that would be the correct fit and spring rate from, say, other Galant trims of the same year range? Or any other stock springs that would drop in without modification. Aside from a possible trade with a member here my options seems to be limited as I can't find new stock springs anywhere. Or used for that matter. Rockauto.com doesn't have them under the 2.0L turbocharged. It doesn't even mention AWD.

I did look around. Tried variations of + and the quotes. I found TONS of information on aftermarket combinations, ride height and handling. I found the stock E39a spring rates too. Which is awesome. Just nothing that hinted about other stock options. I wanted to start with a stock ride height.

Any suggestions, comments, thoughts are appreciated.

And thanks guys.

Jesse

T3mp0r

Well I guess that's one solution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hadn't flat out asked yet because I didn't have the post count yet. Gotta obey the rules /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GVR4kauai

I also have a set of stock springs and evo8 springs. Pm if interested! On my gvr4 I'm using stock evo8 struts with 1.5" drop swift springs. Should be a great setup once I'm finished installing!

Last edited:

GVR4kauai

I got hooked up for mine. Luckily my friend had the evo they came from and he just had them sitting there lol! Score for me cleaned them up and about to install! Can't wait!

CutlassJim

If you're going through the physical effort of changing out your springs I highly suggest getting a set of aftermarket lowering springs. Why pay $50 for a stock 20 year old set when you can get a slightly used set from an Evo for $100-200?

Spyke169

^ only concern being the life of the shocks afterwards.

T3mp0r

Good point about the life and age of the springs but per the original post my questions would be are there any modifications needed for the Evo springs? What's the average drop compared to stock, generally? Is there a particular Evo generation I'm targeting?

Thanks

Jesse

tektic

He didn't say spring... He said shock. agx should hold up to the evo lowering springs, but for how long is the question. For the most after a Mitsubishi spring initially settles in it doesn't usually sag. It's technically not a wear part. Some crummy after market springs have issues with sagging. and when using springs with improper spring rates for weight of car may also cause issues.

Stock Evo 8 springs in the rear are shorter than Galant spring and require evo 8 spring insulators and top hats.
Evo 8 springs in the front are taller than Galant springs and require cutting to fit without looking ridiculously high.

The spring rate of evo 8 is reverse of our chassis with the higher rear and lower front spring weight. If you cut the front spring however it is said that it increases it's spring rate closer to a front rear ratio where it should be for out car (Heaver front than rear spring).

Last edited:

T3mp0r

Oh I see. He used 'spring' early in his post so I though he was referring to springs the whole time. I guess I should explain what I'm looking to do in the short term. I just want to raise the ride height. I haven't been under it yet to see if the current springs have been cut or if they're just extreme lowering springs naturally. I want to get everything in order and as close to stock as possible before I go in any direction with modifications. The ride height is just too low. It scrapes a little just entering a driveway. Here in KY in most places the edge of the road is rolled up a few inches. Like a mini speed bump. I have no idea why they do this. The roads/driveways were not like that where I'm from in NH.

Anyway, if you think it would be better price vs. wear to get a set of H&R's i'm ok with that. It just can't be as low as it is now. So my thought process was for the next 9 months to a year investing in stock springs wouldn't be a bad option. I'm not tracking it or taking it to a strip any time soon so there's no immediate need for something upgraded. I do see all your points about a worn out suspension though. Worn out is just as bad as a poorly matched setup (improper spring rates for weight distribution).

So I think that covers everything. Thank you for the information on the Evo springs and all the other responses.

Jesse

quick edit. When I was referring to the "springs" response I was referring to cutlassjim. I did see that spyke was talking about struts. Thanks again!

Last edited:

CutlassJim

Evo KYB's with Tien springs (Green ones) and Evo top hats font and rear. Rode amazing and was the perfect height for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Evo Bilsteins with Swift springs. Galant front top hats Evo rears. Also rode amazing and sat perfect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

T3mp0r

I like both of those. Currently mine is on the stock wheels and tires. The rear fenders just barely eclipse the top of the tire the say it sits. I'm at work but I'm going to see if I can upload a few pics I took with my phone yesterday.

Jesse

CutlassJim

Lol Those are almost positively cut or heated up springs of some sort. They are WAY too low for factory style struts. Dat stance though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

T3mp0r

Lolrite? That PO. I have more pics to take for everyone. There are many things that seem awry in the engine bay. The suspension isn't the only thing that needs attention.

Jesse

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned