The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Does cutting a spring reduce or increase it's spring rate? (+ PHOTOS!!!)

Specter

That is good. Funny thing is its the same scenario with me. Though my car is mostly riding empty with just me in it. Apparently the after market struts get softer if the car carries more weight. Good to know your happy with what you ended up with!

Hi...my name is Eric and am very new in this forum....

I was just reading your topic and was in this very situation last year....We have similar cars (Galant GTI) and had a set of GAB's for the VR4 that I purchased second hand....I did not realize that the VR4 rear shocks had higher perches compared to the GTI.

When I installed it, the rear was waaaay up...so I experimented with different combinations of cut springs and lowering springs and it was still to high up...Even thought of modifying the part of the body where the shock mount sits....glad I didn't do that...

Eventually, I took the risk of lowering the perch, and reducing the shaft, cutting it near the top by two inches and re-weld it again....I was in the mindset that
if I did not cut the shaft....the strut would be half compressed all the time, which I thought was bad.....

I was not really thinking this thoroughly.....

Anyway, here was the result:

The Good: The car did sit on the ride height that I wanted. It had all the characteristics of good handling, taking all the corners faster that ever, no swaying, little bit of bounce, but tolerable. I had setting number 4 on the GAB's However this was on good paved asphalt or flat concrete roads.

The Bad: Roads here where I live is not always good paved asphalt or flat concrete roads....maybe 50 percent of the time only....potholes are everywhere...so in the end, I destroyed two wheel bearings (rear), blew the rear GAB's (it always bottomed out) and destroyed the rubbers that held the springs by the mount.

Maybe I didn't think about the process or I did something I should have not done....but the thing I learned is, next time, buy the right equipment....

Just sharing my experience....Good Luck with your plans.....

cheekychimp

I was worried initially but as you can see the car still actually sits quite high. It doesn't look great but the shocks are absolutely no where near bottoming out on this car and the springs at present don't get compressed much so I think there is plenty of travel left. I'm more concerned about the rear spring jumping out of the perch if the rear shock fully extends but then again I hope I never see any 'air time' in a family saloon whilst on holiday.

I plan to close that fender gap with taller profile tyres rather than dropping the ride height lower. If that doesn't work, I'm actually not worried. I never modified the struts, I kept the original Bilstein springs as well as the Tein lowering springs that were on the car originally. So if the worst comes to the worst, I will pull the Bilsteins and keep them as replacements for the VR4. For the GTi I will just go the same route most of you guys go with Alternators in the States. A well known UK auto store offers cheap OEM replacement shocks with a lifetime warranty. I'll put the lowering springs on them and replace them each summer if necessary.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned