The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Reinstalling front bumper

Lucas03ES

When I bought my 92 gvr4 the front bumper was off, and now I am trying to reinstall it but there are no bolts with the car to put it back on. Does anybody know what size the bolts needed are relevant to this picture?

54223-0-0-0.jpg

And there seems to be a bar with at least half a dozen holes on it that looks like it used to have bolts going thru it into the bumper, does the bumper go behind it or infront of it, and are there bolts for it?

Thanks, and sorry if my post isn't very clear

Lucas03ES

Also, the grill has all the mounting tabs on it, but where it mounts onto the fram there are just square holes. I assume there is supposed to be a clip mechanism there that isn't on my car, or am I missing something there also?

turbowop

If your bumper cover is still attached to the support, then you really just need to slide it onto the studs that stick out from the frame horns. Each side secures with a nut, but I'm unsure of the side. I thought it was a 14mm, but I might be mistaken. The rest of the little ones are 10mm. I wouldn't bother with the bolts that install vertically from underneath. They're a bitch to get to. I just left them off back when I had a USDM bumper. Made life much easier during removal.

As far as the grill is concerned, you're missing the little clips that install into the grill. Once those are in place, the grill will snap into those square holes. Junkyards are good places to find those clips as well as any bolts/nuts you may be missing for the bumper.

Lucas03ES

I don't know if you mean a support in the bumper or the metal support? The bumper itself feels rather flimsy and bends when I pick it up. I took a couple quick pictures of the front end of the car to show you what I am woring with (sorry for the drop light + camera phone, the cam is dead and its dark out!) First pic is the driver's side, second is the passenger.

0921092258a.jpg

0921092258.jpg

Also, in the pics if you look ontop of the metal support bar there are 13 holes that I counted that are also on a top flap of the bumper.

Thanks again,

Lucas

turbowop

First, you need to remove that large metal support from the car. Then bolt the urethane cover to that support off the car, then bolt the whole assembly onto the car as one piece using what I said in my first reply.

Last edited:

turbowop

They're kind of a weird bolt that allows the urethane to move around a little bit when tightened down. Hard to explain. Maybe better off getting them from a junkyard or the dealer. Otherwise, I think they're all a 10mm head size.

Lucas03ES

Can you use the bolts from a non-vr4 galant? I called up a local junkyard and they have an 89 and a 91 but I doubt they are vr4's, and I wanna double check before making the 25 miles drive. Thanks again

-Lucas

turbowop

Yeah, the regular galant bumpers pretty much use the same hardware.

Here is a pic. This is from a rear bumper, but they're the same:

Last edited:

Lucas03ES

So I got the parts I needed ($2.79 I love junkyards!), and put the bumper on. It seemed like it didn't want to fit at all because the top has a gap between the headlights and the bumper thats like 3/4" wide? Also, the bolts that go up in the corners right by the wheels I needed to pull really hard to get them to line up. I don't know if the bumpers on right?

Does the tab (with the 13 holes for the bolts in it) go infront of the tab on the steel support as in the front of it (seen in pics), or behind it?

The car I pulled it off it was infront but it wasnt a vr4. Thanks

-Lucas

Lucas03ES

I'm still trying to get this to fit. The bumper doesn't look like it's on right, I can get pictures if it helps.

The bumper seems flush against the bar that goes between the grill and the radiator, but under the headlights there is a rather large gap. Also, where the screws go inside the fender wells are about 1/2" too far forward and the curvature of the fender doesn't look right.

Lucas03ES

Here you go, let me know if they're too big or if you need more of anything, thanks again

0928092120.jpg

0928092121.jpg

0928092121a.jpg

turbowop

That looks about normal. The bumper fitment of these cars isn't the greatest unfortunately. If you loosen all the main bolts that hold the whole assembly up you can usually adjust it up or down a tad to help it fit better, but there's only so much you can do. Check out the members rides section to see how others' bumpers fit.

Lucas03ES

Thats what I was doig and mine looked a bit worse than most that I saw. I'll just have to try messing with it a bit. Thanks for all your help again

Lucas03ES

Pull off the turn signals, there should be one 14mm nut behind each. Look underneath where the support mounts to the body there are 2 14mm bolts. There is also a screw in each fender well that you have to pull.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned