The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Attachment of turbo to ex manifold

paul j

What is the purpose of a stud and 3 bolts and not 4 bolts for attachment as shown in parts and assembly books? Also parts book '89-'92 says the bolts are 10 x 80 but mine are 9 x 80 was there a change somewhere along the line? What size are the popular turbos tapped for?

JNR

Been awhile since I looked at mine, but would say using 1 stud instead of a bolt at that location is probably for clearance (i.e. not able to get a bolt in there). An M9 bolt would be extremely rare, sure that is what you have?

paul j

For sure. I bought some M10 and they would not go through ex. man. Checked old ones and they were 9 x 1.25. I checked to see if a M10 would go in the original ex. man. and it was no go. I checked and all 3 of my turbos take 9mm so I decided not to enlarge ex. man holes and rethread the turbos.

JNR

For sure. I bought some M10 and they would not go through ex. man. Checked old ones and they were 9 x 1.25. I checked to see if a M10 would go in the original ex. man. and it was no go. I checked and all 3 of my turbos take 9mm so I decided not to enlarge ex. man holes and rethread the turbos.

How strange, least you know for sure though. Is this all stock stuff, like the manifold, etc.?

paul j

Yes all stock. I thought the one on the car when I bought it was original but when I started to refresh the engine I took the turbo to a diesel truck shop and they said it was no good. I bought a new Mits one they had which turned out to be a big 16g not the 14b. I discovered this through Justin Whitesell-on dstuner- by the numbers on the turbo. I sent the one off the car and another one I had bought some time earlier to Justin to rebuild. He said the one that had been on the car was a combo -small 16g- not a 14b. He said he could make a stock 14b and a small 16g with some parts and be like new. Those and the new 16g are all 9mm threaded. The manifold I have is an aftermarket original design like the old one. A M10 will not go through them. An M10 will go through a cast Forced Performance manifold.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned