The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ralliart viscous coupling revealed..

turboaddict

I have seen a pic of a clutch lsd that fits in the stock vicous location. Has any see or know anything about these???
Thanks

cheekychimp

The Cusco centre clutch diff has a machined ring that eliminates the oem viscous coupler.

turboaddict

so no one has an idea on the vc replacement? Would something like that be beneficial? A clutchpack replacement for th vc or would this be a waste of time? thanks.

cheekychimp

Raising this from the dead.

Anyone who has used one of these or simply understands the physics of these a little more can you spell out why they work to counteract understeer? Am I correct in assuming they require more of a torque split front rear before locking up and therefore let the rear end go more before transferring power forward allowing the car to rotate further before 'catching' the tailslide.

If so, would one of these work well in conjunction with a centre differential that offered a rear biased split?

^^+1! I'd like to hear more on this. I've been digging around here looking for all the info I can on alternatives for center diffs. So far the Cusco tarmac diff + stock VCU looks like a great option. How does the ralliart VCU affect front end push?

cheekychimp

Bringing this back because I found a another unicorn.

I recently found a thread on tuners about a Japanese built adjustable clutch plate coupler that replaces the stock VCU. The description seems to suggest that it does pretty much the same as the Ralliart VCU except that the plates inside the housing can be adjusted so that the user can change how much torque is sent to the rear.

Apparently they were discontinued a while back but a contact of mine somehow talked them into to reproducing one for me but on the proviso that I make a decision to move on it quickly. It's not cheap (120,000 yen) but with Ralliart gone or on the way out, this may be the last thing available to do what I want. Apparently this came out of an EVO III transmission. Does anyone know if there is any difference between our couplers and those used in early EVO units?

Last edited:

No difference Paul. They will slide right on.

Is there another one of those avalible? If so, how much U.S. dollars?

cheekychimp

Chris thanks,

About $1300 USD, I am sure if they are doing one they would do two, yes!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned