The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

plastidip

coyotes

So I know most of you guys dislike it but I am curious on some opinions. Thinking about dipping my car for a year or so for fun until I can address bodywork and paint. What color would you go with? Mine is black, I'd go black again but want to stay clear of matte colors since they look cheap, especially on older cars like ours.

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

Quoting coyotes:
So I know most of you guys dislike it but I am curious on some opinions. Thinking about dipping my car for a year or so for fun until I can address bodywork and paint. What color would you go with? Mine is black, I'd go black again but want to stay clear of matte colors since they look cheap, especially on older cars like ours.

Gold

IMO, if you plan on painting the car is an year or so I'd save your money and wait... Of course its your car, so do what makes you happy. just my .02

coyotes

Maybe I'd just leave it, who knows. Realistically it would be further down the road than a year, got plenty of more important things to take care of first than bodywork/paint

92_talon_awd

Black with the plastidip gloss. I plastidipped my 2g matte white, thought it looked pretty sick.

jnava

Staff member
I was honestly thinking of doing it to 57 and it is a very cheap alternative to a paint job, but I'm just going to get the real deal and keep it summit white. Now the real decision is should i do it myself and spend and get myself a nice compressor, dryer, hvlp gun and all the goodies to do it. Not there yet but that is something I'm thinking about.

tektic

If you don't have a good place to paint all that equipment is kind of useless. It will come out okay, but if your short on room or its dusty... I painted a jeep in my 1 and a half car garage. It's good but not as good as it could be if i had more room and proper air flow.

The flat white does dip does sound sick. I'd like to see pictures email or post link please. This may bee the future look of my ggsx.

Jesus_Negros

Quoting coyotes:
Maybe I'd just leave it, who knows. Realistically it would be further down the road than a year, got plenty of more important things to take care of first than bodywork/paint

I'm so serious. Gold.

Epifool

Finally have a chance, so i'll toss in a question- how does plastidip do over bondo n such? Is there any special prep needed? I realize thats two questions, and apologize thrice for my transgression.

Jesus_Negros

Quoting coyotes:
I don't think I'm gangster enough for gold

C'mon Pimp!

92_talon_awd

Here's some before and after of my matte white dsm. Was easy and cheap and I liked the way it looked despite the huge amount of plastidip haters ha. The wheels were plastidipped black too.

92_talon_awd

Yeah, not my first choice but my stock hood was so oxidized it looked and felt like rough fiberglass. Picked that one up for $200 on craigslist. I used a cheap gun from northern tools and a little cheap air compressor I had laying around.

turbowop

Quoting coyotes:
That hood tho.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowroflr.gif

I was thinking that and about to reply the exact same response, then scrolled down to see you beat me to it.

A lot of guys on my Audi forum do plastidip. Most say white is a bitch to keep clean due to the nature of the stuff attracting a lot of dirt/contaminants. I'm not against it...as long as it's done right.

92_talon_awd

It wasn't too bad to keep clean, actually easier with the plastidip. Instead of soaping the car up and then washing, I just sprayed on bleach white, scrubbed and rinsed, looked like new again. No soap needed. I did my girls car in matte black and she didn't like it because she had to wash it almost every day to keep it clean.

coyotes

I did my friends Subaru wheels in white plastidip at his request, looked good but definitely collected a lot of grease and grime. They clean well with a foam gun type of soap.

I probably won't do my car, sounds fun but I don't think I care that much. I'd rather put money into more important things right now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned