The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Plasti-dip

maxash0775

I am throwing it out there and risking the ridacule. I saw these videos on line for plastic dipping your car. They are very cheap like $500 for all the paint and sprayer. My gvr4 could use a facelift but a quality paint job is out of my budget. Also with these plastic dips you can just peel it off. It is a matte finish which is a look I would like. Anyone have any experience or have done this? Anyone want to make fun of me? Please give me input. Tax Refund will be here soon!!
click

As far as I know, Plasti dip will only peel off on a perfect paint surface.

Last edited by a moderator:

ronnycordova

I've seen good and bad paint jobs with that stuff...most of the ones I see have a ton of runs but I've seen a few good ones. I think it is mainly for a car you want to paint but don't want to lose resell value on. I wouldn't use it as a permanent paint job but I really can't say anything considering my off-road truck was spray-bombed with desert tan spray paint haha

GSX_TC

^^
what he said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JamesFoster

Plasti-dip is great for trim pieces and things like that, but I agree, save the money for a real paint job. You'd be better off buying an air compressor and paint gun and painting the car yourself I think. Watch some videos and how-to's and give it a go.

James

It's it terrible if you know what you're doing (same for any type of painting). There's a local Matte blue dipped Evo and its pretty awesome. I've seen a red S2K at some of the bigger meets.

But 99% of the ones I see looks like ass because people just aim and shoot. Also if you call a certified plastidip shop to apply it for you it costs as much as a real paint job. I inquired for a white car/black trim job for the galant and I think it was like $2500 or something outrageous.

JCorbo25

Since I see you are in Bakersfield, you may want to try out this guy:
click

He's in San Jose, but he seems legit.

Matte Colors $600
Consists of sanding and wet sanding of car, Fix of dents, 1 coat of primer, 4-5 coats of base coat, 2 coats of matte clear.
Available colors:
- Black
- White
- Brilliant Silver
- Red
- Dark blue
- Metallic
- Org

2 Stage/Clear/ Paint Job $900-1000
Consists of sanding and wet sanding of car, Fix of dents, 1 coat of primer, 4-5 coats of base coat, 5 coats clear. Free buff and polish.
Available Colors:
- Black
- White
- Silver (Metallic)
- Performance Red
- Deep Blue or (Metallic)
- Orange
- Dark Emerald Green (Metallic)
- Midnight Blue
- Burnt Orange

Candy Paint Job $1250-1450
Consists of sanding and wet sanding of car, Fix of dents, 1 coat of primer, 3 coats of base coat, 4-5 coats Candy , 4-5 coats clear. Free buff and polish.
Available Colors:
- Apple Red
- Apple Green
- Orange

Turn around time for matte paint 1week, 2 stage paint job 2weeks, candy paint 2 weeks.

Drew84

I rattle caned my Mirage with Plasti-dip, while its great for the winter beater. I would only put real paint on my Galant.

rdomeck

Ok, I run a fabrication restoration shop......You can not paint a car for under $3500 and it be any good. Paint supplies alone cost $2000 for anything that will last.

The cheap paint jobs are cheap paint jobs. Save your money for a nice paint job. I kept track of my labor when I painted mine 2 years ago and with material it should run about $6000 to completely disassemble one, paint and reassemble. You could do one with removing some trim, door handles, etc. not paint jambs and under side of hood or trunk and pay $3500-4500.

turbowop

I'll use this picture because it shows the depth of the clear:

944a90561cf3162.jpg

Painted in '04 for under $2k. Still looks good. Ask anybody that has seen my car in person and they will say the same. No orange peel either. You don't need to spend over $3500 to get a decent paint job. But you shouldn't expect anything good for $500 either.

rdomeck

I disagree..As someone who knows how much labor and materials are involved, it takes more than $2000 to paint a car. You may have paid that, but a shop would be out of business very soon if thats all they charge to paint a car......

turbowop

Maybe a large shop with lots of overhead can't do it. But you can find small shops or guys willing to do it on the side for less money, all while retaining pretty much the same quality.

4Grim

Like with any paint job..the prep work is important.

I have seen several Plasti dipped cars locally that look mint. Every one of them prepped the car well and spent the money on a good paint gun rather than a rattle can.

bobdole

I had my old galant painted back in 2002 for something aroud 2k. I did the labor of pulling the window's and trim. It was a small shop they only worked on Jag/BMW, but the paint was flawless. I also got a qoute from a big shop in Tampa that are well know for high quality paint jobs. He wanted $3500.00.

tektic

I painted my jeep with imron 3.5 hg for ~$500 with all the filler paing hf spray guns tape... everything. Took a lot of working hours though. I think it came out good for my first paint job. ots super strong industrial single stage. but nasty stuff. Was thinking vinal wrap for my Galant though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:

Gabor

Most of the people I talked to who paint cars at home, steal the supplies from their day jobs.
So, yes they can do it cheaper than the shops with overhead.

turbowop

I guess that's one way to do it. Or they could use cheaper materials. You can use a cheaper basecoat and clearcoat product and still have great results. We're not driving around classics that require the best of the best in materials. I think most guys with GVR4's just want their old 20 year old flaking clear coat, scratched, door dinged paint jobs to be replaced with something that's shiny again. Not a super high end job so they can polish it with a diaper in the garage and only take it out for the Concourse de Elegance at Pebble Beach.

Gabor

Give it another 100 years before the organizers of the Concours d'Elegance accepts any Galant VR-4 applications. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned