The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Outter tie rod end.

Lancer99

This car is a bit rusty. I got the passenger side off with a little work. The driver side doesnt want to move. I got the castle nut off but now im trying to get it off the inner tie rod end. I cant get the locking nut to move. Besides a whole can of blast off tapping it with a hammer a few times, want other tacktics are there? No I don't have access to a torch.

JSchleim18

I could not for the life of me get the outer tie rod end off with PB blaster or any other rust penetrate. Solution: Torch for a few mins and it was cake. Sorry I could not be of much help but the torch was the ONLY thing I used that worked.

Lancer99

I kind of figure the torch would be the best bet. Anyone know where I can get a small one?

mikus

MAP gas off a propane handheld should be sufficient.

Also have a look at the various (non-fork!) ball joint seperators out there, screw-types and such, they get the job done on tie rod ends too. A good one of those is a must-have tool IMO. Set one up with *just a little* tension and then heat the metal, and it'll pop apart.

Lancer99

Success! I finally got it off, with help of a friends torch! But now the locking nut is rounded off and its stuck where the tie rod end and locking nut use to be. Again any ideas? I use a 12mm on the inner tie rod end and it just keeps popping off and I don't want to round that part off.

JSchleim18

Vice Grips and if its becoming a pain then use the torch on the locking nut and the Vice Grips to get it off.

Adorsey

Try what JSchleim18 said, and for anyone trying to get the outer tie rod out of the tapered "thru" hit the hub assembly a good amount with a ball pien hammer, and it will come out. Be cautious of the noise, where some earplugs or muffs whatever you got. Right where the green X is.

H05TYL

The above works great! Also works for lower arm ball joint to hub, but is slightly more awkward to swing the hammer.

Adorsey

Definatly a bit akward for a hammer, luckly you get new boots when you buy new ones.

Lancer99

I already got the outter tie rod off, it's the locking nut that doesn't want to come off. The locking nut is a bit stripped but I can still use my wrench on it.

H05TYL

forgive me if I'm being daft, but why not leave it where it is so that when you fit the new tie rod end your alignment will still be sweet?

Lancer99

The locking nut is rounded off not badly but I would want a new or slightly used one on there. I already marked where the locking nut and tie rod end met before so it shouldnt be that far off.

Adorsey

Torch it then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Lancer99

F**K yea!!! I finally got the damn outter tie rod and locking nut off! Hopefully nothing else gets in my way. Anyways now im looking to buy a locking nut anyone have a new one or slightly used thats not rounded off?

Adorsey

Did you change the tie rod end? It should come with that jamb nut.

Ask some locals first, or your local ACE store. If no luck ill send you one of mine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned