The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil filters no longer stocked?

Chim55117

It's a good thing I never have to worry about oil or oil filters.

I work at a Valvoline, probably the coolest one in MN. We're privately owned (franchised), our ages are 23, 22, 19, and 16. The boss drives a Mazda Miata MX-5, the assistant Manager drives a 2003 Subaru WRX, and the other guy drives a 2005 Volkswagon 1.8T, then there is me and the VR-4.

Free Valvoline SynPower and MaxLife full synthetic oils for me. And if you don't know, Valvoline filters are identical to Wix filters on the inside. They are made for us by Wix.

jesus_ralliart

Ok, so I was totally absent-minded and passed the NAPA on the way home. I doubt it was open but good to know that there is a NAPA filter which I guess judging by people's comments is just as good or at least good enough.

Also, purolater? Really? I was told that these are garbage.

belize1334

I just picked up a Purolator PureONE from K-Mart for ~$5. I think it was PL14459 but that's from memory. It's NOT a 1G but rather a 3000gt Turbo which is a bit bigger than the 2G though I'm told that both will technically work. The alternative is to go to WalMart and get the Mopar unit. They don't have part numbers but it's all the same and it's the right one for the 1G. Supposedly it's actually a rebranded purolator but I wasn't confident and besides, I hate WalMart.

gtluke

the mopar filters are in fact the absolute worst filters on the market. okay maybe the fram filters are worse but that like 10 page article on oil filters pointed out that the mopar ones are incredibly horrible.
it was wix and purolator pure one's that were on the top. you can get them rebranded as napa gold and motorcraft

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I've always used Valvoline filters. Never had any issues.

DR1665

Bring the hate.

I have never run anything but Fram. Put over 210,000 miles on my Talon in 12 years of ownership and never had a problem due to filter or the predominately cheap dino oil I ran in the car. I've since stepped up with the Galants and run the Shell Rotella T "synthetic." Cured my lifter tick on the first oil change. Can't remember the Fram filter I run on the Galants off the top of my head, but it's about half the size of the OEM. Reduced filtration, I know, but the oil is cheap enough that I have no trouble changing often, and I like to think it contributes to better oil pressure.

:shrug

gvr4ever

I won't hate, but the Fram filters have just been known to be made really cheaply and poor compared to other filters. Now the extra guard is suppose to be pretty decent. As far as the oil goes, it's formulated for diesel engines. I don't really know enough about oils to say if its good or bad, but it is for a diesel engine.

If your buying Fram just because your at Wal-mart or something, then give super tech a look. They are pretty decent too, and while the filter material is different, the construction is similar to a Mobil 1 filter. I used to run whatever on a old Talon, and I used Fram too. It never broke the engine, but that doesn't mean that a different filter would have been a better choice. With a 4G63, I could probably change the oil every 10K miles and not break the engine. Doesn't mean it would be in better shape if I changed it more often.

G

Staff member
click

densoconsumerposterof.jpg

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Me either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Staff member
oe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

656of1000

Firestone keeps an ample stock of our filters. The problem is, I don't think you can go into a firestone and buy just a filter. I suppose if you're desperate, it's worth a try. It's a number 2856A filter. As far as quality, I have no idea how they stack up to the other brands. $0.02 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned