The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil coolers

Barnes

This would actually be pretty easy to test with a IR thermometer. Just measure the temp of the oil cooler in various places. If there is air it should be much cooler than the rest.

CarRacer

We have one of those at work for monitoring the paper temp after using a heater on the printing press. I'll check out what the cooler reads after my drive in.

So the system is under preassure but it is not air tight. Seems like the air could easily find its way out through a breather valve. Oil and air cannot occupy the same space so the oil will push the air out when it begins to circulate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I designed this plate that moves the oil cooler up so the oil lines do not dangle below the frame. I wanted to lower my chances of snagging them if I happen to not be able to avoid road debris. They will get zipped tied up as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

JNR

OK, so I guess I don't understand how air pockets become an issue as the fluid is being pumped under pressure through this (sub)system?

Barnes

The big brass looking cap thing on the bottom of your oil filter housing is oil 'thermostat' or whatever you call it.

AWDnoobie

Im glad i stumbled across this thread. Is there any specific years for the filter housing?

biglady112 is that a air2air with water running through it? Sorry for thread jack

biglady112

That is an exchanger for a water/air setup that is now my radiator. It was first put on to fit under the nose of a stock bumpered Dodge Colt. I now run a custom nose on the front of the car so space is no longer a problem. I have yet to run it in a LSR race with the little core, but running 13 gallons of coolant so far on the street has not caused any issues. It stays very cool actually. Hopefully it is enough to do the job on the Salt.

But the core is 24x7x3.5

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The reason I am interested in this thread is because my new engine apparently experienced a rod bearing failure last year, and I am at a loss to explain why. I don't see air staying trapped in a cooler either direction, as I agree with JNR that oil will push air out as it moves through the tubing inside the cooler (if a tubing design...). Not sure on that.

how much extra oil do you add to make sure you have adequate supply in the sump when the cooler and lines are full (to avoid pump starvation)?

biglady112

I measured mine before it ever went on. It take exactly one quart to fill it up. So I am currently running 6 quarts to an oil change. And we are about to heavily modify a stock oil pan for more capacity. We currently run 8 quarts on the land speed 1G with no external oil cooler.

CarRacer

I measured my cooler today after driving home from work. It measured 175-180 at both the top and bottom of the core.

I fill with 5 quarts of oil, run it for a little bit, then check it again once the oil has flowed around a bit. I honestly forget what I'm running but I think it's around 5 1/2 quarts.

onesickcrx

I am planning on priming my motor this weekend with oil, so I will see which port is pressure side I am also planning on installing my oil cooler this weekend so this is great info keep it up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

Here is the cooler I just bought. web page They have plenty if you want one. Looks to be approximately the same width but taller as the stock 90 cooler but it has 1/2" ntp female ports.

I also bought two steel 10an to 1/2" npt male fittings for $8 off of ebay to allow me to use my 10an hoses.

As I said earlier, I plan to mount in the fender where the old ABS pump was. But I will have to see just how it fits once it all gets here.

Can't wait to fix my oil leak problem.

Terry Posten

What is the general consensus with mounting them flat with the fan blowing down? How do you guys think it would work versus standing up?

Terry Posten

One more question, what would you guys use as a trigger to turn on the fan?

Should it be on with the engine, controlled by manual switch or thermally triggered?

AWDnoobie

I used the throttle with a micro switch to turn on 2 rad fans on my old v8 truck i had. It came on when I was idle or at a stop, I just made a small bracket out of aluminum to hold the micro switch close the TB. It never let me down

Last edited:

turbowop

This thread is really messing with my thinking on how oil coolers should be mounted. I don't understand how it would be correct to have the inlet and outlet both on the bottom. Any oil flowing through the cooler would only flow through the bottom passages. With the inlet on the bottom and outlet on top, the oil would be forced through the entire core, or if both the inlet and outlet were on top, same deal. This doesn't make any sense to me.

biglady112

I suppose that way would work as well Mark. I am not saying the way I did it was correct. The logic in my mind told me this is how I should do it. But, when was the last time you saw an oil cooler with inlets and outlets that way?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting turbowop:
This thread is really messing with my thinking on how oil coolers should be mounted. I don't understand how it would be correct to have the inlet and outlet both on the bottom. Any oil flowing through the cooler would only flow through the bottom passages. With the inlet on the bottom and outlet on top, the oil would be forced through the entire core, or if both the inlet and outlet were on top, same deal. This doesn't make any sense to me.

I think it may depend somewhat on the internal design of the cooler, but you have to remember Mark that pressure is equal everywhere. 70 psi of oil coming in to the cooler is going to be 70 psi everywhere in the cooler, not just dribbling in at the bottom. Think of air pressure in a balloon.

I am struggling with the talk about the air in the system and how that may effect oil flow, and if it gets out in normal running, does it come back again next time?

Terry Posten

This is a really nice cooler. Spal fan and quality aluminum shroud. Basically the same as stock but taller and 1/2"NTP fittings. For $110 shipped, very good value.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned