The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New to the Mitsu scene in California.

Hello,

I'm a So Cal bum with a passion for anything that is propelled from dinosaur bones. I for a long time have wanted to learn stick, I accomplished that goal as of three months ago, however the vehicle I was learning was a 2002 Honda Civic Si and I got acquainted to the term of "snap oversteer". This event left my beautiful little EP3 smashed into a concrete barrier and my heart broken and my confidence as a driver destroyed. However, I have been wanting to get back on that horse since I have leaped off of it, and a personal resolution I made was to not purchase another FWD car (for obvious reasons) and this left me in a slight predicament. So I began my agonizing search for another automobile and I found one, a 2008 crown victoria police interceptor, however she was destined from the beginning to be a stock daily driver with cruising and reliability in mind. Now I have gathered up enough funds and enough courage to pull the trigger on a secondary/weekend car. I have narrowed down my options to a two DSM's (A starion/conquest or the fabled Galant VR-4) a fox body mustang and datsun 510. However, I recently found this bad boy click and i cant help but want to feel the wonders of a AWD system and the uniqueness that a VR-4 can provide. However, as most who have stumbled across any mitsubishi before, I'm slightly skeptical on the reliability/cost of ownership of a vehicle like this. I'm relatively handy with a wrench and I have alot of friends that are handy with wrenches/ and or are already within their local DSM scene.

To cut to the chase, is this specific vehicle worth the price and what should I be aware of walking into this (Yes I know its a 25 yr old car and there will be parts that need addressing) so in your personal and professional opinions, is this vehicle worth to pull the trigger on? I have long envied over the rarity of these vehicles and the rally prestige that lies behind them.

What am I looking to get out of her?
Simply I want a car I could daily/use on fluctuating cycles. This means reliability is a top priority, however I would like to get her into the ballpark of 250-300 whp eventually. I'm only looking to accomplish these mods to the engine and keep the stock outward appearance. I also have some highly recommended shops around me, but I would like to know what I can get away with doing by myself or with a couple of friends. With this in mind, this vehicle is an investment for me, since their collectiibility still hangs in the balance

I appreciate you all taking the time to hear out my tangent and my rather brief introduction. I'm local in Socal so If any of you boys have suggestions for local get together's or cruises, I'd be more than appreciative to be enlightened about them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

As a general rule of thumb, $3,500 isn't a bad deal for a running driving Galant VR-4. If you look at sales of similar cars I'd say that's about the average price. Although, I'm assuming most of that, since per the usual, the Craigslist ad sucks ass and doesn't give a serious potential buyer any real details. Sadly, the only way you could really evaluate this car's worth is to actually go and see it. Quick Google search...Least it doesn't look like it has changed hands a thousand times in the last decade, which is always a plus: click

The only way these cars can be reliable is with tons of maintenance. When you add up the time and money it takes to keep a 20+ year old Galant VR-4 on the road, you're likely going to be well into the thousands pretty quick. That's assuming the PO did a decent job before you, AND if you turn all the wrenches yourself. If you plan to rely on shops and others to do the work for you, you better have deep pockets. Either that, or know somebody who works for free. Lucky for you, there's a forum that specializes in the 6th generation Galant filled with tons of knowledgeable people usually willing to help a new guy out.

Some of the primary things to look for are rust, hack jobs (mods or repairs), severe oil leaks, etc. You'll want to know when the last time the timing belt was done, as well as other basic maintenance. You're basically looking for the same things you always do when buying any used car.

Most importantly (IMO), you'll want to get a feel for the PO. People ruin cars; they don't ruin themselves. Get a read on the PO, and walk away if that person sucks.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

You are very local!

I was looking at that car on CL the other day and was thinking of picking it up but then I told myself that one GVR-4 is more than plenty. The price for the car is very good from what it appears. It appears to be an adult drivers car and I believe the son owns the Evo. There was a different ad listing a week or so ago.

Jesus_Negros

Mwahahaha I didn't see this car until now. I might try to pick it up if you don't want it. I have a line on a white Conquest that I might buy and flip though.

Honestly I bought my first DSM at 18 and I basically asked a lot of questions and consulted with local DSM'ers to help me learn. After that, none of my 4g63 cars have been unreliable. If you get the car you'll have the support around you. I and 4 or 5 other members are all within 30mins of you. I say go for it!

Awesome, I love the recommendations and I'm glad to see that this is about the median price for one that has been "used". Further more, I cant appreciate you more when your blunt with the price I will most likely end up dumping into the car, but alas this will be a long term project for me and I've been truly waiting for a care that's special for me to hold on to. I think I may have found my match! But he left a message since I was in class and he sounded pretty professional and defiantly not some young gun (like myself lol) that has owned the vehicle, I also saw that he owns an evo 9 so that's a good sign right there. I will see once I take myself and a good friend of mine that builds race cars and rally cars as a hobby/living with me to see what the verdict is, but im not expecting any miracles for a car that has been used for almost 25 years straight.

Sweet man! I'm trying to look at it by tomorrow and with any luck I can make my purchase. I have already browsed the forums and I'm impressed with the know how and knowledge that is floating around here, to be honest I would say you guys are probably the most well put together forums on the interwebs. I would be more than willing to meet up with some of the locals If im to run into any problems, and once shes back in DD tip top condition, I would love to make an acquaintance with you fine gents.

Wait was that a conquest for sale in Indio and was it a white '88?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

raptorWagon

Welcome to the Galant VR-4 community, not the dsm scene lol. Starquests and Galants are their own thing unrelated to DSMs as a fyi, we just tend to hang out with those guys as well as the Evo community. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jesus_Negros

Quoting RearViewTerror:
Wait was that a conquest for sale in Indio and was it a white '88?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

That one was sold.

I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I was going to purchase her but I dilly dailied way too long.

LNSTRVR4

Welcome, I'm in search of a GVR4 myself. They seem to mostly be in the northern tier of the country but a few have popped up in the Houston area. I have an 88 Conquest and love it to death. They're awesome cars that turn heads everywhere you go.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned