The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

California Registration

idreamidrive

First off, Hi!

I am new here and to the state of California. I have been looking for a gvr4 for a while now and have had little luck in finding anything that is close by and not over priced. I live in San Diego. My question for you guys is: Is it possible to bring in a gvr4 from outside CA and get it registered here or do I have to find one that was originally from CA? Google is not helping me with finding out if all gvr4s were 50 state legal or not.

Also, I am sorry if you have covered this before, but my ADD searching of this sight took over.

acidrumz

Here in california, you can register any car out of state or in state (transfer title) as long as the car passes smog.
you need that smog certificate attached to your application to transfer titles.

Steve885

I'm actually going through the proses now ...I bought a car from Louisiana had it shipped. Filled out the paper work...they wanted to inspect it (I got a little nervous) but actually they just wanted to look at the vin # and the emissions sticker under the hood.. I still have to go get the smog..but that's it.. easy 500 later!!!

JNR

This won't be an issue with our VR-4's, but you need to have 7500 miles on the(used) car before you can register here.

I brought mine in from MD and had no issues...you take it to the DMV (make an appt.) and they do a quick inspection, mostly with regard to the VIN, but want to say they also check simple things like lights and signals (it's been 10 years almost so don't quote me on that part). Pay your fees (including sales tax based on the bill of sale) and they issue a temp registration UNLESS you already have it smogged and give you like 30 or 60 days (forgot) to get a smog cert.

go to www.dmv.ca.gov to verify the requirements and all you'll need, but to summarize you can bring a car from out of state. Just be sure the car is able to pass a smog here though (like not missing the cat, EGR, PCV, etc. and runs properly).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned