The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner 631/1000

coyotes

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
I'm not sure I agree. We really need to see more pictures of the structural areas that are usually plagued the worst by rust to really say if the shell is junk. And, even then, it's really up to the owner on whether or not that holds true. The amount of time, money and the capabilities the owner has really determines what is salvagable and what's not. People here are always so quick to condemn after seeing a few rust spots. What are they going to do when clean shells are a thing of the past? The supply is going to dry up, and repairing rust and such is going to become common practice on these 20+ year old cars for people buying the typical used and abused examples. The days of buying a cheap, clean shell will be a thing of the past sooner than later IMO.

Keep the clean shell I got and sell it for $$$$ when the time comes I guess.

jasonvr4

if i was you before spending too much on the motor --

pull everything off the boottom of the car and inspect the rust issue below - clean and repair that first

otherwise u may be driving like the flinstones

Coltsfan

I'll get more pictures of the structure when I get to that point. The car is certainly worth saving in my opinion, and It's going to be my new daily. I plan on driving it year round, and taking it wherever, through whatever. I wasn't about to drive to California and buy a pristine specimen so I can take it snowboarding and drive to work in blizzards, collect firewood/parts with it, and let my kid eat in the back seat. I'll de-rust it, metal patch it, and put it back into service. It of course will need to look presentable, reliable, and have a solid chassis. But at the end of the day, I won't owe it diddly because I saved it's carcass from being crushed, or eventually consumed by rust.
I broke my shop lamp, so I'm calling it a night.

KiNgMaRtY

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
I wish more GVR-4's could have been saved by owners like you. I do understand that there were some out there that there was just no saving, but if there is a chance, with a bit of motivation like yours, a GVR-4 can be saved

Last edited:

Coltsfan

Teaser pic behind the plastic cladding.

Coltsfan

Haven't removed the fenders yet; busy cleaning up my "BIG 16G". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Coltsfan

So close...
Hey! Does anyone have a spare thingy to mount the wastegate solenoid to? Mine was missing.

Coltsfan

One last thing Chewie...

Coltsfan

Ahh, thanks Chewbacca!

Coltsfan

It cranks if I turn the battery charger all the way up to "sizzle", but it wouldn't start. It's 2:40am so I'm done. It can have a new battery after the holiday weekend.

Who can spot the piece I forgot to install? (Besides the air can; I don't have one yet)

Last edited:

Coltsfan

Besides those too; something I need before I try to start it...

Last edited:

Coltsfan

I couldn't handle the suspense, so after I cut my mom's lawn, I found something I needed to fix on her Prius. The local parts international chain, was giving away two day old used batteries for $20, so I popped one in the Galant as long as I was up here anyway...

She fired a pile of mouse feces out of the tailpipe, and sprung to life. The idle quickly smoothed out, and she started purring like a kitten. My little helper said, "She sounds like she could do the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs!". Give it time Chewie, give it time. LOL

Startup video to follow...

>>>Spoiler alert

Last edited:

PolskiVR4

Great job saving the car! I have 630/1000 which is also Belize Green. I noticed in your video, when you pulled out of your garage there was some sort of sculpture thing. Did you make that?

Coltsfan

He's Gearhead. Just something I tossed together one day about a year and a half ago.
1231011505.jpg

Ps. That slip yoke hanging there is his tailbone by the way. So, no it's not what you were thinking.

1231011512.jpg

Last edited:

Coltsfan

Business has been slowing down, so I started my own private haboob under 631/1000.

strokin4dr

Looks like a Dexter kill room under there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned