The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner 631/1000

Coltsfan

The turbo might not look like much, but when I scraped off the grit and grime, I discovered it was ever so slightly more than I expected...

Coltsfan

The head was in the trunk, still bolted to the intake manifold, and it seems they managed to bend all 16 valves.
All the engine parts look like they haven't been washed since the manufacturing process.

Clearly, the car has not been run in a while.

Coltsfan

I media blasted this old water pipe, and welded in a missing chunk from the end.

Cleaned up a replacement cylinder head.

After much cleaning and refinishing, I have a presentable valve cover and intake manifold...

Coltsfan

The rotors are all boat anchors.

Front strut mounts are dragging down the property values in the neighborhood.

The garage was obviously too narrow..

I have front and rear compost heaps. LOL

Coltsfan

What, too many pictures?

G

Staff member
Quoting Coltsfan:
The head was pretty fresh, and they only milled .005" off of it. The oil port still looks pretty hearty, and the felpro composite gasket leaves a pretty good gap so I decided to leave it alone.

Is the big 16g stock on a 92 vr4? Anybody???

You can never grind too much out. I'd do it anyway to be safe. This thing is going to be a winter beater right? Looks like it was sitting on a pile of salt for a long time.

Coltsfan

Yeah It does have a lot of rust, but it's next on the agenda after it's running.

I suppose I could cut a little material out of the oil groove, but I'm not sure it really needs it.

Coltsfan

Cleaned up the engine bay a little today, and noticed that I have a 1gb DSM transmission, and a 1ga Talon AWD engine.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting Coltsfan:
The turbo might not look like much, but when I scraped off the grit and grime, I discovered it was ever so slightly more than I expected...

Not to sh*t on your parade, but that's a 14b, not a 16g. Is that the same turbo you were referring to as being a 16g after running the numbers?

Coltsfan

Yeah, that's it. 49178-01(41)0 Bummer!
It appears I got some bad information off the internet.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

If there's anybody that can save this thing its Dayo. Glad to see you made it over here buddy. You need to show these guys how you transformed your Colt and then they'll have a little more faith in your ability.

G

Staff member
I would start with acid dipping the entire car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Coltsfan

I must have been dipping into the acid when I bought this car. I looked really good in the dark. LOL

Work has been hellabusy, but I managed to put a couple more hours into the car.

I media blasted the tensioner/bracket, and the manifold bracket, primed the oil system, and put the head on.
With any luck I'll be able to hear this thing run Thursday or Friday.

Ps. This is for G...

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

I can appreciate the fact that your dumping time and effort into a car that isn't mint. I still haven't seen anything that suggests the car isn't worth salvaging. How do the areas behind the front fenders and rear wheel wells look? You'll get a lot of flack about all the rust from some people, but don't let it stop you from saving this car. Keep up the good work.

89Mirageman

It also depends on what your plans are. If the plan is to restore it to its former glory I'd pass and look for another shell. If you're looking for a fun winter beater to do awd burnouts in the snow with then this is the car.

GSTwithPSI

I'm not sure I agree. We really need to see more pictures of the structural areas that are usually plagued the worst by rust to really say if the shell is junk. And, even then, it's really up to the owner on whether or not that holds true. The amount of time, money and the capabilities the owner has really determines what is salvagable and what's not. People here are always so quick to condemn after seeing a few rust spots. What are they going to do when clean shells are a thing of the past? The supply is going to dry up, and repairing rust and such is going to become common practice on these 20+ year old cars for people buying the typical used and abused examples. The days of buying a cheap, clean shell will be a thing of the past sooner than later IMO.

MellowVR4

looks like this thing was sitting in a rainforest!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned